cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Add "attributes sync worker" to sync metadata into CAD files

bliu-7
4-Participant

Add "attributes sync worker" to sync metadata into CAD files

Currently, Windchill have a File Synchronization CAD worker to sync attributes change into representation(NOT for AutoCAD),I know these attributes change data stored in metadata, can you add a function to sync these attributes into CAD files(Primary Content file).

8 REPLIES 8
YodaKim
13-Aquamarine
(To:bliu-7)

Hi Bin,

You may know that the attribute changes are propagated to CAD files when they are open from CAD tools with Workgroup Manager. Can you share any use case that attribute synchronization to primary content file are required during publication?

Thanks,

Yoda

bliu-7
4-Participant

Case1:

For AutoCAD users, there is no representation worker for dwg files.

In my case, customer want to add Signing information(from windchill workflow) to the dwg title block, but it it blank when i open EPM files use creo view.

Case2:

For Creo users, the customer may use "rename>filename" from windchill to rename "prt, asm" file, our customer need to package those(renamed from windchill) creo files direct from windchill(they don't want to use Creo or WGM to do that manully). Some one open the package found missing relationship.

Case3:

For all third party MCAD users, people may change some attribute value from windchill which they think it is sync to the CAD files actually it is not, it is not reliable for CAD users.

I know Vault Professional have the function called "property sync" which send CAD files to worker, the worker updated the file send back to PDM system, so i post this idea here.

Windchill never tampers with CAD content files.

Use WGM and you have no problems.

- dependencies are there

- attribute values are propagated to CAD

Hi,

Not sure if this helps. But here are some thoughts from my side.

Case 1: We have similar requirement to have some data populated in drawings (from Creo Elements Direct) title block before converting them to PDF. At the end, the solution at the customer was to add custom scripts to authoring application in the worker which calls webservices to fetch all required data from Windchill to fill in the drawing title block before PDF is created.  This type of solution could help you. But takes lot of effort / planning in detailing out and implementing.

Case 2: We do have similar requirement. In short it is exporting of native Creo files to Package ZIP file and share it with others. We are still in detailing out phase. One thing I could think of is to use the file sync worker configuration and customize the package functionality to use this file sync worker so that you have updated Creo files always. Again these are some thoughts only. I still need to investigate this. Seems to be complex. But if you need to automate this process, customization is only the option. Or users should use WGM and manually export the required data.

Case 3: I never tried this usecase. I always work with attributes on CAD so not sure about this.

bliu-7
4-Participant

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, there is no problems with WGM, i know that.

rpassolt
5-Regular Member

‌If I understand your issues then Case 1 for Creo drawings only requires you to add a republish step Which is automated out of the box as you may know.  For AutoCAD, as the previous person mentioned, it would takes a custom App, which Fishbowl already has as a solution.

Fishbowl also has (further company promotion) an App to address the Case 2 issue. It'a called LinkAccess and it would take your request to zip and process accordingly.  It resolves any renames to the Crep file so that isn't an issue.  These zip files can be delivered multiple ways... one of our customers has our LinkAccess put them on FTP and LinkAccess emails their partner that the files are available. (Lots of use cases on this app).

Use case 3 sounds like a configuration issue, but more detail is needed.

best regards,

Rick

FIshbowl Solutions

rpassolt@fishbowlsolutions.com

bliu-7
4-Participant

Thanks for your professional advice.

Like i said, as far as i know, Vault professional (autodesk's product) can sync property change to Inventor(iam,ipt,ipn,idw, etc) files through worker, so i think maybe windchill can do the samething, this is just an idea i think we can discuss.

bliu-7
4-Participant

Thanks for your reply, i know there is some third-party solution for my use cases.

but i post here because i want to discuss windchill itself.

Thanks again for your product solution.

Top Tags