cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

At numeric revision, Normal Users should be able to set-state from InWork to Under Review, Reviewed or Prototype states.

mmutyala
1-Newbie

At numeric revision, Normal Users should be able to set-state from InWork to Under Review, Reviewed or Prototype states.

At numeric revision, Normal Users should be able to set state from In Work to Under Review, Reviewed or Prototype states and

At Alpha Revision, Normal Users should not be able to set state.

How and Where to configure this settings in Windchill 10.2 M020?

7 REPLIES 7
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:mmutyala)

This is controlled from Policy Administration.  You can provide very granular control over who can do what based user/group, object type, and lifecycle state.  Policy Administration is accessible from Site (or Organization) --> Utilities --> Policy Administration.

DonSenchuk
7-Bedrock
(To:TomU)

Forgive my skepticism. I don't see how that works. Unless I'm misunderstanding the question.

He's asking for the ability to set policy based on the revision level of the object, not on the user/group, object or life cycle state.

If the revision sequence is 1, 2, 3, 4, A, B, C, D he wants to allow the users to manually set state during revisions 1 thru 4 but not during revisions A thru D.

The only way I can imagine it working with my understanding of his request is to have different life cycle states for numeric revisions (reviewed, concept, prototype) than for alpha revisions (released, production released, production change). Then the policy admin route would work perfectly.

syadala
5-Regular Member
(To:DonSenchuk)

If the Lifecycle states are same then you can write a UIComponentValidator to disable the setstate action.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:DonSenchuk)

Yes, I made the assumption that the Alpha revisions were at different lifecycle states than the numeric revisions.  If there is only one revision series that continues right from numeric into alpha (like you show above) for all lifecycle states, then policy administration will not do what he's requesting.

Of course I would then question if this is a good approach.  How would you know how many numeric steps to put in the series?  What if you don't need all the numeric steps?  (You'd have to manually force everything to go to the first alpha revision at release?  (Which is possible, just not automatic.)  Seems like it'd be much simpler to use a two-phase development process with numeric series for the prototype states and alpha for the production phases.

mmutyala
1-Newbie

I have done little research for this in PTC but not successful.

I found this:

In Site  --> Utilities --> Life Cycle Administration, When we open any Life cycle Template, There is a Version Series having two fields

1. Mil Std

2. Numeric Series

But I did not understand how to use this and apply changes.Can someone help me with this.

DonSenchuk
7-Bedrock

It's one of the things I've had to deal with in our system. The legacy revision sequence is 1-50 then - and A thru whatever. I've tried to get that changed a few times but have been overridden consistently with, basically, BS reasoning.

bsindelar
6-Contributor
(To:mmutyala)

Elaborating on Don Senchuk's comments:

Using OOTB level configurations, the access controls on objects are not governed by revision, but by life cycle states.  With this in mind, there is one way you can accomplish this using some slight modification of the concepts in the "Two Phase Development" life cycle template (Life Cycle Template Administrator):

1. For life cycle states like In Work, Under Review, Reviewed and Prototype, allow "Set State" action from any of these states to any of these states (assuming you do not want to use promotion objects here) and have all those states using numeric series.
  2. Designate a specific state (like "Released", for example) to which you can "Set State"/"Promote" from any or all of the numeric revision states.
  3. For "Released" state, don't allow set state or promotion BACK to the numeric states.

As an example, a brand new created object will be at, say Rev 1. You revise it a few times, set states throughout, etc and end up with an object at Rev 5, in "Reviewed" state.  Once you "Set State" or "Promote" to the Released state, it will still be at Rev 5, but then NEXT revision to occur (through manual revision or through change objects) will go to A.  There are also ways to conduct the transition between state and numeric->alpha revisions in a single action, instead of having the intermediate "numeric released" object.  Once in Released state at Rev A, you now have locked down the LC template to disallow set state

Assuming OOTB revision scheme, once the object hits rev A it will NEVER go back to numeric revisions, even if you were to allow setting state back to the previous "numeric states".

If you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail me at robert.sindelar@eccellent.com, or visit my company's website at www.eccellent.com for more information about what we do.

Top Tags