cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Attribute Drop-Down Validates Against Part Number Attribute

zgodula
9-Granite

Attribute Drop-Down Validates Against Part Number Attribute

I would like to have a drop-down text box on the Change Notice object only allow valid part numbers in the system to be selected.  Is this possible?

There are obviously many valid part numbers in the system (over 2,000).

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

3 REPLIES 3
kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:zgodula)

An Attribute for Part Number seems clunky when you could add WTParts as Affected Objects (pre-change).  Only WTParts that exist in the system are available for addition.  IMO - this is (one of the many reasons) why getting WTParts going sooner than later is a must

Keir,

Thanks for the feedback, I should have clarified more.

We have a sub-type of a WtPart called "Master Shop Order", which is basically a project number.

I'd like to somehow link the ECN to this object, but also display the associated shop order number on e-mails and tasks for the ECN.

I'm not sure I'd be able to do that if it's just an Affected Object for the ECN.

That's why I was looking to use a drop-down box to simply capture the value to use on notifications and tasks.

Thanks,

Zack

kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:zgodula)

Hi Zack,

I have had some luck using code to process information and generate messages for the notification emails... including Sub-Types, and Attributes.

Are you using Problem Reports and Change Requests?  If so you may want to consider End Item (WTParts) for your Master Shop Order.  The adavntage here is the option to add Affected End Items (only WTParts) to PR's and CR's separately from Affected Objects (WTParts, CAD, Documents etc.)

I have found that drop-downs get clunky with a larger list (25 or so) so I can't imagine a happy drop-down with 2000+ so you'd probably want to develop a picker, or go with a text-box with validation code to check against a list of valid entries (Part Numbers).  IMO - this is less than optimal because you need to maintain the lookup list. 

Top Tags