cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Automatic form entry from PDF

kmccormack-2
6-Contributor

Automatic form entry from PDF

Is it possible for a user to start a new document, upload a PDF, and have Windchill automatically extract data from the PDF to populate the fields in the new document wizard?  

3 REPLIES 3

Yes but you would likely need to add your own wizard step to the create document wizard. Do you have the ability to code reading and extracting the data from the uploaded PDF? If you are looking to have it be processed while on the attributes page of the Create Doc step, the adding a step would not be the approach. I think that would be some javascript trigger which executes when the file is added. Not sure how that would be done but should it be possible, yes. Complicated? Yes.

We do this today with a specific type of formatted Excel spreadsheet. We had a Java customization created to do all the data extraction from the file and then pass those values to attributes on the document. Love to tell you more about it, but I am not a Java developer.

@kmccormack-2 ,

As usual, @avillanueva makes a good point re: complicated.

Would it be enough to read the attribute data from the pdf and update the Doc's attributes automatically (without iterating the doc) after Doc creation?

Can you post a sample pdf and maybe highlight the data in the pdf you want to pass to the Doc?

This will help us to better answer your question.

When I was contacted by one of the moderators seeking help for this post, I created a utility that will read a pdf that is the primary content of a WTDoc and update Windchill attributes of Doc accordingly without iterating the Doc,

The code finds the pdf in the Windchill file vault, reads it and updates the Doc's attributes without iterating the Doc.

The code however would need to be edited to comply with your pdf's formatting.

If you need help, contact me at:

windchill.developer@yahoo.com 

David

Top Tags