cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Automatic services or not?

davehaigh
11-Garnet

Automatic services or not?

I just got this note from one of our admins.

I don't think he is right. Any thoughts?

"With windchill not being able to start properly with all required services set to automatic, I changed the Windchill service to be started Manually."

David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

4 REPLIES 4
sbugros
4-Participant
(To:davehaigh)

All of mine are set to automatic. All works well.

Apache
Tomcat
Windchill
WindchillDS

However I have had the experience with other programs/services "CLASHING" and not starting properly so one of the two has to be set to Manual.

Steven Bugros
Brookhaven National Laboratory
Collider-Accelerator Department
Building 911 B
35 Lawrence Drive
Upton, N.Y. 11973
631-344-3259
bugros@bnl.gov

When we first deployed Windchil (9.1) we used sevices and set them to automatic (default).
However, we quickly found that several services frequently failed to start.
We suspected that this was because all these services were starting at the same time (at boot time) and placing such a load on the CPU, that something was timing out.
We changed all of the services to manual, and created a boot-time scheduled task to run a batch file which starts each service in serial with some wait time inbetween.
Works great.

Gerry

In Reply to David Haigh:

I just got this note from one of our admins.

I don't think he is right. Any thoughts?

"With windchill not being able to start properly with all required services set to automatic, I changed the Windchill service to be started Manually."

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:davehaigh)

You do not want them set to manual without some other means of automatically starting Windchill.
Gerry has a good suggestion, create a boot-up batch file and let that start Windchill with time between application starts.

My servers are set to Automatic and I don't have any issues. It seems to vary depending on server speed and other things starting at boot-up. I also use a net stop and net start in a batch file to stop and restart Windchill each night while the Oracle dump is taking place.

My hardest part is getting the services to run in the first place. I had no problems with the last WC9.0 install I did, but the WC10 and WC9.1 servers are still Manual start because I can't get the service installed right.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

I set our windchill services to automatic but use service dependencies to ensure they start in the correct order. ex: windchill9.1 wont start untill tomcat is up, Tomcat wont start untill apache is up. etc. it is done by creating a registry key called DependOnService located in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<service name=">

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193888

Top Tags