cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Automatically exporting STEP or PDF files from Windchill PDM

PaulMoss
4-Participant

Automatically exporting STEP or PDF files from Windchill PDM

PDM automatically publishes STEP & IGES files from the model & PDF files from the drawing upon check-in to CS (under Content - Additional Files). We can download these locally by navigating to the part/drawing and manually downloading them.

But wondered is it possible to have these files automatically downloaded/exported to a specific non-PDM location upon check-in? Plus is there a way to configure the automatically generated file name? The auto-generated file name is currently step_123-12345_prt.stp.

We're running PDM Essentials 10.2

Thanks,

Paul

7 REPLIES 7
GregoryPERASSO
14-Alexandrite
(To:PaulMoss)

Unfortunately, think you will need a customization.

We have made this kind of thing ....

DavidBrand
14-Alexandrite

Not answering your question, so sorry, but are you saying that it is possible to set PDMLINK (not necessarily essentials) to save STEP and IGES files from the model and PDF files from the drawing when checking in? Are there any guides, or any one willing to share, how to set this up?

Thanks

DAvid.

PaulMoss
4-Participant
(To:DavidBrand)

Hi David,

I believe this is OOB functionality and is only available in PDMLink (and Essentials) 10.2 onwards. It didn't need any special set-up to do this and the files are available under 'content' by RMB on the thumbnail - see attached.

pdm.jpg

DavidBrand
14-Alexandrite

Thanks Paul

We are on 10.1, so I will have to wait.

Hello David

you don't need to wait... Check the Visualization Guide (WindchillVisualizationServicesGuide_10-1_M040.pdf) and read the chapter Using Publish Rules.

In the chapter "Windchill 10.1 Publish Rules Enhancements" on page 80 you'll find the necessary information.

Pay attention that not every CAD-System supports publishing rules for different file types.

Björn

DavidBrand
14-Alexandrite
(To:BjoernRueegg)

Thanks Björn

I'll take a look.

David.

Paul,

My issue is that I have the files created, but where I really need the file to be is on the attachments of the EPMDocuument. The other crazy thing that I can't seem to turn off is the requiremnet for Prefix and Suffix to the file name.

Why they ever decided that the best place to store this is in the PVZ file I don't think I will understand.

David

Top Tags