cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

BOM report for CAD drawings on an EndItem eBOM

Dobi
14-Alexandrite

BOM report for CAD drawings on an EndItem eBOM

SQL and reporting is not my forte... so looking for some pointers. 

I want to have a report of all CAD drawings that exist at all levels of an EndItem eBOM (so Design view only). 

Something like this:

Dobi_0-1696001379293.png

I do have multiple WTPart subtypes and only need 1 type reported on with it's CAD Drawing associations. The idea is to get a snapshot of total quantity of drawings vs. how many are at a particular state (from week to week perhaps). Added complication is that we have Creo and NX and some of the drawings may not be classified as "CAD Drawing" type but instead may show up as "CAD Assembly" with a xxx_DWG in the name. 

For input, is it possible to have only the available End Items be selectable via drop down or something like that? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
d_graham
17-Peridot
(To:Dobi)

@Dobi , this is very doable with a customization.

I wrote a utility recently that did what you are looking for and more. The utility created a Package and added the PDFs created from the published drawings that were linked to the WTParts in the End Item’s structure (recursively) as well as primary content from WTDocs of a specific subtype that were linked to the WTParts in the structure.

In short, in the End item WTPart’s action menu I added an action to run the utility to create the package. If the package already existed the utility updated the package to reflect the current structure (maybe something was added or deleted from the structure since the package was originally created) and then present a page to the user of exactly what the package now contains.

All the user has to do is select the action. That’s it. Very user friendly and its bombproof.

What you are asking for is quite a bit simpler. It would be no problem to create a tool that would generate that data you’re looking for with one click. 

If you need this, you know how to get in touch with me.

David

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

Have you played with the Part Structure page, specifically the left side product structure and showing documents? 

Dobi
14-Alexandrite
(To:avillanueva)

Yes. 

I can display the entire BOM with it's CAD and spit that out as Excel and then do post processing there... 

That's ok, I guess... Either I do post process scripts in excel based on incoming .csv or get Windchill to report the result without subsequent processing of the .csv. 

I won't be the one pulling these reports on a weekly or so basis and I'd rather have it be a "push button, get result" set of steps, if that's possible. 

Dobi

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

Its very complicated since it involves recursive queries, Config spec criteria and crossing multiple object types. Its near impossible without the UI helping get this for you. I feel your pain. Proper indented structures are our bane as well.

Dobi
14-Alexandrite
(To:avillanueva)

If it were just one or two End Items, it's not so bad... 

1. Product context/Details/filter for desired end item
  2. on Structure page Display/Expand all levels
  3. Display/Select all
  4. Show/CAD Documents
  5. Export/as xls (or whatever format)

Then in excel, 

1. search for drw or _dwg (if NX)
  2. for found, get state
  3. take the list and remove duplicates
  4. make chart with counts/percentages at states

There are many to do :(. And this is so many clicks I can't imagine there isn't something better. 

Is this not something others keep track of?? It didn't seem like an odd-ball ask (like some of my questions here at times may be). 

d_graham
17-Peridot

@Dobi , this is very doable with a customization.

I wrote a utility recently that did what you are looking for and more. The utility created a Package and added the PDFs created from the published drawings that were linked to the WTParts in the End Item’s structure (recursively) as well as primary content from WTDocs of a specific subtype that were linked to the WTParts in the structure.

In short, in the End item WTPart’s action menu I added an action to run the utility to create the package. If the package already existed the utility updated the package to reflect the current structure (maybe something was added or deleted from the structure since the package was originally created) and then present a page to the user of exactly what the package now contains.

All the user has to do is select the action. That’s it. Very user friendly and its bombproof.

What you are asking for is quite a bit simpler. It would be no problem to create a tool that would generate that data you’re looking for with one click. 

If you need this, you know how to get in touch with me.

David

Top Tags