Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefits of Windchill 11.2 over Windchill 11.1

SOLVED
Highlighted
Granite

Benefits of Windchill 11.2 over Windchill 11.1

Hi All,

Would like to understand the overall benefit Windchill 11.2 would bring when compared with Windchill 11.1?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Benefits of Windchill 11.2 over Windchill 11.1

I think what they mentioned at the PTC User meetings as that if you don't have the correct version of Windchill they will still show up as they would today, but if you are on a version that supports Multi-body, then you can expose all of the bodies in the product structure in Windchill. 

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted

Here are the Support Matrix both:

1) Windchill 11.2 - https://www.ptc.com/support/-/media/AA0720E627F045899765C208E92042C4.pdf?sc_lang=en

2) Windchill 11.1 - https://www.ptc.com/support/-/media/02563ADF5C0043FD9D6C67818BEB4A81.pdf?sc_lang=en

Here are some highlights in 11.2:

1) Support for Amazon Corretto JDK

2) Support for Cloud Storage (Amazon Blobs and AWS S3)

3) Support for Windows Server 2019

4) Windchill Rest Services 1.7

5) Improved Windchill License Management

6) Whats New Link - https://www.ptc.com/support/-/media/28861FEBF5DE42F487C8E5DB9F5250BD.pdf?sc_lang=en

Highlighted

Thanks Arpit Singh:)

Regards,

Praveen

Highlighted

I would like to add.....

• Classification changes
    • Ability to classify documents
    • Namespace functionality, which is a time saver for multiple nodes and importing those nodes
  • Ability in Save As to change attributes

I have found 11.2.1 to be a little buggy though.

Highlighted

Thanks for the information Brian:)

Regards...!!!

PRKAC

Highlighted

@BrianToussaint 

Could you elaborate a little on what you find 'buggy' in 11.2?  We are considering it.

James

Highlighted

@JHall , these are things that I have found and opened calls for.

• When in a CN and you try to add a CR to it not all CNs can reference all CRs
    • So an newly created CN in 11.2 cannot see a CR created in 11.0.  However the CR in 11.0 can create a CN in 11.2.
    • Also CNs created in 11.0 cannot see a CR created in 11.2.
  • I had a group that couldn't access what they used to. I had to create a duplicate group and set it up the same as the other group for ACLs, etc. Deleted the old group. The new group worked.
  • I had custom profiles so I could hide some Creo Attributes.  After the upgrade users in one of the profiles lost menu selections in different areas.
  • Rename of documents is missing from the action menu.  The only way to get there is to go to the structure tab of the document and the rename functionality is there.
  • Past deadline for tasks is no longer showing up red.
  • Our XML output through ESI was not outputting the same information as 11.0.
  • During the upgrade process I was not able to switch from Java
  • Some ProjectLink stuff
Highlighted

@BrianToussaint 

Thank you and eeek!  that's a lot.
James  😬

Highlighted

@JHall 

Yep, and I'm in production with it. 😲 I really wanted to get off of Java but it kept erring like it would not do it for an upgrade but only new installs.

The weird thing with the profile was that by turning it off and back on fixed that issue.  It was really strange.

Highlighted

I just noticed that 11.2 does not support multi-body (coming out in Creo Parametric 7.0), but 11.1 does (with a CPS).  See https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS321000

Highlighted

@TomU but is that at the Windchill level or the View Adapter level?  If it is at the adapter level, it would be in 11.2 since that is what I am using with my 11.2.1.

Highlighted

I believe both.  Multi-body will still work with Windchill, but Windchill won't be able to expose the bodies inside the parts (designated parameters, etc.)

Highlighted

I think what they mentioned at the PTC User meetings as that if you don't have the correct version of Windchill they will still show up as they would today, but if you are on a version that supports Multi-body, then you can expose all of the bodies in the product structure in Windchill. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Windchill support for "exposing" bodies from Creo 7 by designating these bodies will not be supported until Windchill 12.  Earlier versions of Windchill that support Creo 7 will allow you to save and check-in multi-body models, these bodies just won't be "exposed" in Windchill.

Highlighted

@SteveShaw,

What exactly has been added to Windchill PDMLink 11.1 M020-CPS11 for multi body that has not been added to 11.2 (according to tech support)?  See https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS321000

Highlighted

@TomU that article is certainly misleading (and doesn't tell you much) but is required by our process to ensure that we document all submissions into a CPS.  Since 11. 1 M020 CPS 11 will support Creo 7 we backported some capabilities in WVS for it to work when it encounters a multi-body model created in Creo 7.  This same code was submitted as part of 11.2.1.0. 

Highlighted

@SteveShaw,

Thanks for clearing that up.  When I saw that article come out I contacted tech support and asked if the same changes were added to 11.2 and they said 'no'.  Glad to hear they were wrong and 11.2 will support this!

Highlighted

Thanks for this overview. The biggest development for me as an admin is an improved Odata API. Oh, and a new Import/Export mode.

thanks -- Rick

Tags (1)
Announcements