cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Can the document type be changed when creating new documents with the browser drag and drop functionality?

ksegl
3-Visitor

Can the document type be changed when creating new documents with the browser drag and drop functionality?

Is it possible to change the document type when creating new documents with drag and drop within Mozilla browser? Even setting the preference "Create and Edit -> Document Create Default Type" seems only to affect "Action -> New...". Currently we have PDMLink 10.2 M030 CPS04 installed.

2 REPLIES 2
doehr
1-Newbie
(To:ksegl)

Hi there,

For the main Document "object" that gets created...no. You can't change an object type definition of anything once it's created. You can of course change the attached file, and if you have added some dropdown-list attribute to show the document type as Report, Test, etc...you can of course change that. But not the fundamental object type itself, since that is too encoded into the system with the Object Initialization Rule, Lifecycle Templates, etc...if the wrong document object type was chosen at creation your only option is to fully delete it and start from scratch.

Daryl

If you want to be able to select the document type from a drop-down menu, you must use Actions > New > New Document or Actions > New > New Multiple Documents.

Both action windows support the drag-and-drop functionality.

But, if you're specifically talking about using the drag-and-drop feature from the Folder Contents table:

• If you want the drop-down Type menu to appear, that currently isn't possible - regardless of the preference settings. You can create a product idea for this (I did a quick search and it doesn't look like anyone has created one yet).
  • You can, however, use the Create and Edit > Document Create Default Type preference to change the type. For example, I set the preference value to WCTYPE|wt.doc.WTDocument|com.ptc.Agenda and then used the Folder Contents drag-and-drop action:

dragdrop.PNG

I tested this using Mozilla on a Windchill 10.2M030_CPS15 server -- so if the Document Create Default Type preference isn't working for you, it might be a bug that has since been fixed. (I wasn't clear on whether the preference wasn't working at all for you, or if you were just emphasizing that setting the preference to com.ptc.core.foundation.type.common.commonResource:SELECT_A_TYPE doesn't apply the Folder Contents drag-and-drop)

Top Tags