cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Cancelled Revision

IM_9838997
2-Guest

Cancelled Revision

Sorry new Windchill user here. I am trying to understand how Windchill works and have a question on Cancelled revisions.

It is easiest for me to use an example to explain.

Say I have a drawing B.5 status "Released"
I revise it and the system generates the next revision C.1 with status "In Work"
This drawing is worked on through various iterations to C.7 with status" In Work" Version B.5 status is still released.

At this point this revision "C" is cancelled / postoned / abandoned for whatever reason.

I know that I could delete revision "C" but there may be some useful work done in version "C.*" and it would be useful to retain these drawings.

So is there a way / status to keep the drawing but when another change is planned for drawing B.5 the revise function can be done and starts with revision D.1?
Is there a status I could set C.7? Like Cancelled or Abandoned?

Many Thanks
Ian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I'd be curious to hear what other companies do because I haven't found a great answer for this other than deleting the canceled revision. Currently, I would be cautious about keeping canceled revs. Your design team may find Windchill likes to serve up the 'latest' version by default so other users may accidentally start using the canceled revision. Users are supposed to review and check everything but they don't always do that. One way to keep canceled revs is save a copy like part123_rev_c_canceled.drw before deleting the revision. If you use Creo, there's a product idea for ModelCheck to help with this: ModelCheck - Assembly Component Not Allowed

Here's how to do what you're asking... Your Windchill admins could create a custom lifecycle template that includes 'Canceled' or a name like 'Revision Canceled' (the default Windchill lifecycle includes Canceled but it doesn't have both Canceled and Obsolete. Your company may already be using a custom lifecycle.). They would also need to set the Windchill preference at the Org or Site level to 'Allow revise of non-latest revisions' = yes. You would then need to train your users that when they see 'Revision Canceled' they would need to revise from the last good revision before making changes. Alternatively, the revise could be done at the same time the 'Revision Canceled' was set to reduce the chance of accidentally using the canceled rev - just leave the objects at 'In Work'. Our company has 'Allow revise of non-latest revisions' set to no. We did this b/c some users were not doing a good job of updating out of date workspace objects before they click revised.

All of these solutions require users actively take some action when a revision is canceled. I find a lot of users just move on and don't properly resolve their unfinished change. Here's an product idea to Find Accidental or Stagnant Revisions in Windchill.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I'd be curious to hear what other companies do because I haven't found a great answer for this other than deleting the canceled revision. Currently, I would be cautious about keeping canceled revs. Your design team may find Windchill likes to serve up the 'latest' version by default so other users may accidentally start using the canceled revision. Users are supposed to review and check everything but they don't always do that. One way to keep canceled revs is save a copy like part123_rev_c_canceled.drw before deleting the revision. If you use Creo, there's a product idea for ModelCheck to help with this: ModelCheck - Assembly Component Not Allowed

Here's how to do what you're asking... Your Windchill admins could create a custom lifecycle template that includes 'Canceled' or a name like 'Revision Canceled' (the default Windchill lifecycle includes Canceled but it doesn't have both Canceled and Obsolete. Your company may already be using a custom lifecycle.). They would also need to set the Windchill preference at the Org or Site level to 'Allow revise of non-latest revisions' = yes. You would then need to train your users that when they see 'Revision Canceled' they would need to revise from the last good revision before making changes. Alternatively, the revise could be done at the same time the 'Revision Canceled' was set to reduce the chance of accidentally using the canceled rev - just leave the objects at 'In Work'. Our company has 'Allow revise of non-latest revisions' set to no. We did this b/c some users were not doing a good job of updating out of date workspace objects before they click revised.

All of these solutions require users actively take some action when a revision is canceled. I find a lot of users just move on and don't properly resolve their unfinished change. Here's an product idea to Find Accidental or Stagnant Revisions in Windchill.

Thanks for the detailed response.

Can't say I am not a bit disappointed that there isn't some setting where Windchill would check if you were trying to revise a non "released" version of the drawing and ask the user to confirm if they didn't mean to start from the latest released version.

I think saving a copy will be the way to go.

Thanks Again

Ian

It would be nice if there was more options in the Windchill preference than yes/no like 'Prompt with Allow Override'.

One additional step could be removing the revise transition from the custom lifecycle for the 'Revision Canceled' state so users would be unable to revise from the canceled revision.

Make sure to mark responses as solutions if they helped solve your problem.

Top Tags