cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Cannot retrieve model - cache corruption?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Cannot retrieve model - cache corruption?

Four different users in the last two days have received the message "cannot retrieve model <model name=">". If this model is inside an assembly, this message will be followed by the message "wtws://Windchill/<file name="> cannot be retrieved." Looking at the workspace shows the object in question listed, but not modified and not out of date. Switching to a different workspace makes no difference. The object can be added to the workspace but not opened in Pro/e. Adding an earlier version of the same object to the workspace works fine and can be opened. Updating this out-of-date object to the latest version (unchecking "reuse content in workspace") again yields an object that cannot be opened. Other users have no issues opening the exact same object.

I am guessing that no matter how many times you add this object to different workspaces, each version of this object will only ever exist one time in the local cache. I am betting that this object in the cache is corrupt, but I don't know how to force Windchill to really truly re-download it. Short of deleting the users cache (currently ~ 9.8 GB), does anyone have any other ideas? The fact that this has happened to four different users with four completely different files in the last two days is making me very nervous. Thanks.

Tom Uminn
Engineering Systems Analyst
trans-matic Mfg.
616-820-2499
-<">mailto:->

6 REPLIES 6

We hvae seen similar issues occasionally when users try to fetch models from one of our replica servers. If they then switch to the master server they can fetch the models OK.

Usually the only way we can get round this is to delete the users Winddows profile and re-create it. With the new profile they can download from the replica server OK again.

We do this as a last resort and have only seen it a few times in 4 years.

Simon Lucas

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:TomU)

An almost 10GB local workspace cache is asking for problems.

I have always told my users that it is better to have multiple small workspaces than 1 large one.
I also recommend deleting all workspaces once a month so the files don’t build up and cause corruption.
From a Pro/E standpoint, I recommend rebooting their computer once a week.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.
Lohbauer
1-Newbie

Tom,

Our experience has proven out Ben’s point. I advise my users to clear out and delete workspaces monthly. Hey, they are free and plentiful. Sometimes they actually do it! Occasionally I delete their local cache folder altogether, Pro generates a new one at startup.

Other times they come to me with the aforementioned error and I try the recovery utility (see the PTCUser’s Download section) to help them out. Not a happy time.

Bob Lohbauer
davehaigh
11-Garnet

One thing to watch out for, when it comes to cache size, is that you do not limit the size of the local cache.

Years ago when PTC came in to help us migrate from Intralink to PDMLink 8, the guy had us put this in the config.pro

dm_cache_limit 4000

That limits the local cache to 4gb in size.

That might sound reasonable. But the problem is when the user bumps up against that limit. It can cause ProE to become non-responsive, and will likely corrupt the cache. A couple years ago I started getting a number of users having cache problems. I ultimately traced it down to this config restriction on the size of the cache.

Better to set it to 0, and let the cache grow to any size and dealing with any large cache issues by clearing the cache using the cache tools.

[cid:image003.png@01CDADD0.743F9820]

David Haigh
BrianToussaint
19-Tanzanite

One thing that I have noticed in 10.0 with frames turned on, is that the cache will not clean up well. It might clear a little, but not most of it.

Brian Toussaint
CAD Administrator

Hoshizaki America, Inc.
“A Superior Degree Of Reliability”
618 Hwy. 74 S., Peachtree City, GA 30269

I suggest to delete the problem model and delete the frames of the workspaces. Then you can add the model again to the Workspace.

Hope it helps

Daniel Garcia

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 18/10/2012, a las 21:08, "Uminn, Tom" <-> escribió:

> Four different users in the last two days have received the message “cannot retrieve model <model name=">”. If this model is inside an assembly, this message will be followed by the message “wtws://Windchill/<file name="> cannot be retrieved.” Looking at the workspace shows the object in question listed, but not modified and not out of date. Switching to a different workspace makes no difference. The object can be added to the workspace but not opened in Pro/e. Adding an earlier version of the same object to the workspace works fine and can be opened. Updating this out-of-date object to the latest version (unchecking “reuse content in workspace”) again yields an object that cannot be opened. Other users have no issues opening the exact same object.
>
> I am guessing that no matter how many times you add this object to different workspaces, each version of this object will only ever exist one time in the local cache. I am betting that this object in the cache is corrupt, but I don’t know how to force Windchill to really truly re-download it. Short of deleting the users cache (currently ~ 9.8 GB), does anyone have any other ideas? The fact that this has happened to four different users with four completely different files in the last two days is making me very nervous. Thanks.
>
> Tom Uminn
> Engineering Systems Analyst
> trans-matic Mfg.
> 616-820-2499
> -
>
Top Tags