cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

How to apply Access Control Rules for a Specific Role?

ptc-4698385
1-Newbie

How to apply Access Control Rules for a Specific Role?

Hi all,

I am trying to define access policy rules for some specific roles so that these roles can add or remove roles from the project team:

1. In the Teams of any Project (say Demo_Project) we add the roles and assign users to these roles.

2. Assume there are 3 Roles that are added by the site administrator: Manager(assigned to user1), Designer(assigned to user2), Approver(assigned to user3)

3. Out of these 3 roles I want to let Manager and Approver to add and delete roles or users at any point.

4. For this I use Policy Administration in Utilities->and define Access Control Rules.

a) Here I define the Type,

b) Permission

c)Roles- Context Team Role:Manager

Context Team Role:Manager

d)And apply the rules to Selected Principal.

5. Now , when I log in as Manager/Approver, I am not able to assign/add/remove role/member to the members list table in Demo_Project->Team

The options for adding or deleting roles/members are not available as depicted in the screenshot(refer the Attachment)

Role_Access.bmpIdeally,it should depict the image(Actual Result)for the Roles-Manager and Approver when they go to Demo_Project->Team

I am not getting why is it not giving the expected results.

Any help on this will be higly appreciated .

Thanks and regards,

Shweta Joshi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Shweta,

Look into and research creating and using a project template. In a nut shell, you can create a project template from an existing project. The project template is stored at the org level under the templates GUI. This new project template can be used to create all the other projects going forward for your org.

In an existing Project, on the "detail" GUI, select "Save as Project Template". Below is an example of this GUI.

ScreenShot503.bmp

Be sure to select "Team Roles" in this project template. See the Windchill help for a description of usig and creating project templates.

Thanks,

Mike

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi,

I am not sure why your customer has this requirement; interesting.... Below are the steps that will enable this implementation... Good luck.

In a ProjectLink Project, to setup and allow another role other then "Project Manager" to manage the container team assigned to the Project:

1) On the "Team" GUI, open the "Actions"

2) In the "Actions" list, select "Configure Actions for Role"

3) In the "Configure Actions for Role" GUI, place a check mark in the "Modify Team" action for the desired role. In the example below, I selected "Designer" and granted then access to this action.

ScreenShot502.bmp

4) In the "Configure Actions for Role" GUI click "OK.

I tested this in WC10 M020 and it works...

Thanks. Mike

Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot for your response!

That answers my query

Regards,

Shweta

Hi Michael,

Is it possible to do this at organization level so that it will be reflected in all the Projects created within that organization?

This is great when we have to handle a lesser number of projects.However, it becomes tedious when there are a number of projects to be handled.

Is there any OOTB approach for this?

Kindly guide.

Thanks and regards,

Shweta

Shweta,

Look into and research creating and using a project template. In a nut shell, you can create a project template from an existing project. The project template is stored at the org level under the templates GUI. This new project template can be used to create all the other projects going forward for your org.

In an existing Project, on the "detail" GUI, select "Save as Project Template". Below is an example of this GUI.

ScreenShot503.bmp

Be sure to select "Team Roles" in this project template. See the Windchill help for a description of usig and creating project templates.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot for the solution.This solves the problem of defing a general rule at higher context.

Thanks and regards,

Shweta Joshi

Top Tags