cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Check In Without Creo from diskspace

Ketan_Lalcheta
19-Tanzanite

Check In Without Creo from diskspace

Hi

I have a part file on local disk. I can open the same in Creo. Activate Wind chill Server within Creo and can check in the opened part (present into local disk) to windchill.

My query is how to do check in of part from local disk from windchill browser without opening Creo. Can I checkin part file from disk space to windchill if Creo is not installed on my machine?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Technically, you can rename the file name of any file to any other file name outside PDMLink.  Then import that in.

You can also import a .prt, .asm or .drw as a WTDocument.  In fact there are a few users where I am at that have done that for project files.  It does not happen very often though and I do not know the reason.

I do not see the advantage of renaming a text file (.txt) to a part model file name.  If there is someone that is not familiar with your procedures, then what happens when they try to open the file with Creo?  I am not saying there isn't one.  Just that I do not see it.

If the file you are trying to check in is a document type then import at a WTDocument.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

To conclude, I am looking for the functionalities (Check In, Checkout and Edit,Replace Content) similar to documents  for CAD data. I dont have CAD i.e. Creo installed on my system, but physical CAD files are present with me. Can I do check in of the same through web browser of Windchill?

You cannot check Creo files in to PDMLink as EPMDocuments without Creo.  There is no option for that.

But I have seen some scenario for this in 2011 or so. I know it's weired , but use case was observed.

One text file needed to be checked in. I k know it can be updated as document. But team used to rename it as .prt from .txt.

This way we can say that it was prt which cannot be opened into Creo, but that text file renamed as .prt was present into windchill. How it could have been possible is my curiosity.

Technically, you can rename the file name of any file to any other file name outside PDMLink.  Then import that in.

You can also import a .prt, .asm or .drw as a WTDocument.  In fact there are a few users where I am at that have done that for project files.  It does not happen very often though and I do not know the reason.

I do not see the advantage of renaming a text file (.txt) to a part model file name.  If there is someone that is not familiar with your procedures, then what happens when they try to open the file with Creo?  I am not saying there isn't one.  Just that I do not see it.

If the file you are trying to check in is a document type then import at a WTDocument.

Hi

I have renamed tst.txt to tst.prt. I would like to check in this as Creo Part. How to import this? Doing so as Document doesnot solve as it don't provide Creo Icon ahead of name in browser.

I tried to upload renamed text file (tst.prt) through Creo. I opened workspace, then tools and then Import to Workspace, but import is failed being the imported file as non cad data (even though it has extension as .prt)

There is more to a .prt file than just a file extension.

There is Creo header data that identifies the version, build, etc. to the system.

Just calling a file abcd.prt does not make it a part file in the eyes of Windchill or Creo.

Agree to what you are saying. Do understand your point.

But my concern is that how to do check in of TXT file as cad part. I have seen once in 2011 or so that TXT file has been checked in as cad part. Before modifying that file , user used to download, rename edit and again check in that file.

Purpose of doing these is confidential and could not share the same. But ground line is that it is possible. How is my concern and curiosity.

CAD Documents can be created thru:
A. The Windchill Bulk Migrator (WBM) which is a bulk import tool.
It is generally only available to PTC and their partners.  Customers can purchase it but for many it makes fore financial sense to outsource a one-time bulk load to PTC or one of their partners.

B. The Workgroup Manager: Creo WGM or WWGM.
Uploading of any file extension as a CAD Document is possible thru the Creo WGM.  In Creo Parametric, set the config.pro option allow_import_file_extension, restart Creo and use Tools > Import to Workspace.
https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS48213

Since they are loaded thru Creo, they will be tagged as Creo Parametric Authoring Application (CAD Documents).  Also, there is not an equivalent setting for the WWGM.  However, the WWGM can attach non-native CAD extensions to CAD Documents using wgm.autoattach.

C. The Workspace page in an independent browser.
This is one object at a time.  Independent browser Workspace can only create a CAD Document from template and it is always standalone (i.e. no structure).  From a standalone browser, navigate to the workspace and select the new CAD Document icon.  The available Category and Type are filtered from the UI according to the available templates.
https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS41382

So, you may need to create a new CAD Document template first for your unique TXT file extension.  When you create the new template, you can specify a non-Creo Parametric Authoring Application if desired and upload a default content file (*.TXT).

Thanks a lot. My title to query discussion was different (I messed it :p), but this is exactly what I was looking for.

I opted option B from Creo WGM. Able to set Excel extension and load it through Creo embedded work space import option.

Type of excel document is Other even though it is loaded from Creo (More relief that it is not Document type). But I would prefer to do this excel file renamed as .prt from .xlsx and upload the same as CAD part. Revision should be done for this also like we modify from work space by checking out and reimport. We would export content from workspace, rename it modify and re-rename to .prt. Again import it to workspace, do check in.

Above all operations are done using direct import as excel file and I am happy about this option (As it solves my purpose), but it's object type is Other compared to expected CADPart (Not sure whether it is really allowed or not to rename and upload .xlsx as .prt.....!)

Thank you so much once again....!

@Ketan_Lalcheta Since your question has been answered, please mark this post as answered.

However, you don't need to open each CAD file in Creo.  You can do a mass import.

Go to your workspace through Creo and select Tools > Import to Workspace.

Then select the Add icon.  You can select multiple files at once.

Top Tags