cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Conditions to create WTPart on CAD part auto create and associate

taruchamy
10-Marble

Conditions to create WTPart on CAD part auto create and associate

Hi Experts,

I am building CAD driven product structure.

I have enabled auto create and Auto associate of WTPart when CAD object is checked in.

I want to create condition for WTPart creation [by auto creation] based on the attribute/object type from the CAD assembly.

• If the CAD object is Generic – Skip creating the WTPart
  • If the CAD object has the attribute “BOM” with value “No” – Skip creating the WTPart
  • If the CAD object has the attribute “COMP” with value “No” – Create Gathering Part instead of WTPart.

Let me know the possibility to achieve this.

• OIR configuration ?
  • Attribute level conditions ?
  • Customisation ?

Thanks

Murthi

6 REPLIES 6
kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:taruchamy)

• (my opinion) Best practice would be to keep Generics out of "real" assemblies. Exception is sheet metal (I'm considering making the flat pattern the generic anyway and the fully formed the instance). You would have a "real" assembly and corresponding Part Structure for each assembly instance (and/or assembly using instances).
  • I'm not sure on this one... the answer may be to Auto-Associate in smaller pieces working your way from bottom up. For anything that you do not want to build a WTPart structure for (example might be a weldment modeled as an assembly) I would recommend creating the association as a Contributing Image (Association Type). This results in a WTPart associated to the top level of the subassembly that is not CAD Driven and does not contain any of the CAD children
  • (not that I've tried it, but...) Attributes in combination with OIR's might do the trick, but it's a question of timing. I would try mapping your COMP attribute to the WTPart (read up on attribute mapping in the Help Center). You can use attributes in the OIR's to evaluate and set attributes conditionally. What I'm not sure of is if the mapped attribute is available for use at this point so experimentation would be required.
LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:kpritchard)

Thanikachalamurthi, Did Greg or Keir's suggestions help you?

Agree for the generic. Should never have a WTpart and used in "real" assemblies.

As Keir says, I've got a similar use case than him . But not on sheetmetal.

We use family table for building Manufcaturing steps. But our best practice is to create the 1st instance equal to the generic. And then no Wtpart on the generic, and only WTpart on instances

It avoids unneeded modification/revision on a WTpart linked to a generic that will be updated each time you need to update an instance ....

For you need

I think you can achieve it Out of the Box by setting 2 preferences :

pref_CAD_autoassociate.jpg

with the 1st one , you can define a boolean CreoParameter/Windchill IBA that will drive if you want to create an associated WTpart

with the 2nd one, you can define a boolean CreoParameter/Windchill IBA that will drive if the associated WTpart is a Gathering (not a phantom - there's a bad word in the pref name)

for more custom need, you're able to overload the java class in the preference "Custom Class for Auto Associate Part" where you are able to code whatever you want .....

regards

Hi Gregory, Hi Keir,

Thanks for your responses.

I took the points -

For 1

As Keir mentioned ....

(my opinion) Best practice would be to keep Generics out of "real" assemblies. Exception is sheet metal (I'm considering making the flat pattern the generic anyway and the fully formed the instance). You would have a "real" assembly and corresponding Part Structure for each assembly instance (and/or assembly using instances).

For 2

This seems to be a customization

For 3

As Gregory said there is an option OOTB which I have tried already - Unfortunately failed as it is a bug in 10.1 M030

Any other options ....

Hi,

You can set preference under your Product. You can define your own custom class to perform Auto Associate function.

Then you can filter out for which type of CAD you want to skip and for which you want to create respective WTParts.

Set following Preferences from Preference Management:

Operation -> Auto Associate -> Custom Class for Auto Associate Part, edit this preference and set your custom class

Then extend DefaultAutoAssociatePartFinderCreator to your class and use overridden method createNewPart with your logic.

Hi Kanifnath,

Thanks.

Will post you after I apply the same.

Thanks

Murthi

Top Tags