cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Config Spec Conundrum - How do I publish 'As Released'?

Highlighted

Re: Config Spec Conundrum - How do I publish 'As Released'?

@TomU wrote:

@RandyJones, wouldn't that essentially be the same as the "BOM Release Rule"?

http://support.ptc.com/help//windchill/wc110_hc/whc_en/index.html#page/Windchill_Help_Center%2FWCCG_...

Possibly. I have never played with business rules so I do not know what they are capable of or how flexible they are.

Highlighted

Hi TomU,

we came across your request here, which very much describes a problem we are currently dealing with, too.

I wonder if you found any solution since you posted this question. Or any workaround?

Maybe you are interested in discussing this in more detail.

If so, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Benjamin

Highlighted

I don't have a better solution yet.  I keep beating into everyone's heads that anytime they save a part they also need to save the upper level assembly and re-save the related drawing(s).  I have also contracted with a developer to create something similar to the BOM Release Rule for promotion requests.  I'm having him add a check to make sure the objects under promotion are all referencing that latest versions of the objects they are referencing.  Hopefully this will prevent this situation from reoccurring in the future.

Highlighted

Hi Tom,

Are you trying to publish CAD objects with the following Config spec by default? (see screenshot below) or do you want to publish those CAD objects with 'Latest Iteration at Current Revision' of each dependent model?

I once worked with you when creating the publish utilities publishing jobs based on EPMDocument's object identifier(OID) from a CSV in the article CS211115 and just want to help you creating a article with this custom publisher

Life Cycle Config spec:LC.jpg

Highlighted

I'm not sure exactly what that highlighted option does, but for automated publishing there are only two possible settings - 'latest' or 'as stored'.  Our system is currently configured to publish on check in and then republish again on change (set state to 'Released', etc.)  I'm not sure this option is useful for automated publishing...

Hi TomU,

If we provide an option to publish cad drawing with LifeCycle: Released Configuration Specification in the following article:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS238377

so Windchill publishes or republishes the representation when an EPMDoc is changed to Released Lifecycle states, would it be a workaround on this issue?

Highlighted

Based on what I'm reading in CS230180, no it would not.  'Lifecycle:Released' is not equal to 'Latest Iteration at Current Revision'.  For file synchronization enabled CAD workers (which are recommend by PTC), the 'Lifecycle:Released' config spec will fall back to 'Latest' anytime a 'Released' version is not available.  I also don't seen anything stating that 'Lifecycle:Released' won't jump to the 'Latest Released' during future republish events.  Having a representation use a completely different revision, and especially one this is not released, it not a solution.

I really just need a new config spec. 'Latest iteration of as-stored (or target) revision', and then some way to make it the default config spec. for automated publishing.  Basically a hybrid of the current 'Latest' config spec. and 'mark out of date' functionality, but in a way that won't cross revision boundaries.  It should always use the latest iteration of whatever revision is being requested.  Make sense?

Highlighted

Hi TomU,

We can internally create a new snapshot of an evolving collection of data objects as a baseline from the Drawing's as-stored config spec.  In this case, the baseline can be essentially a snapshot of the Latest iteration of as-stored (or target) revision. It will be created automatically when admin republishes the drawings

We may then add a new wvs scheduler to the article CS211115 that publishes the latest Drawing objects with this new Baseline Configuration Spec.

We cannot make it the default config spec. for automated publishing.

Not sure if this new wvs scheduler would help

Highlighted

In my case, if it can't be the default config spec. for publishing (especially republishing on change), then no, it won't help.

The correct solution is to make sure anytime a part is changed that all referencing objects (assemblies and drawings) are also updated as well.  This just creates a tremendous amount of work that really shouldn't be necessary and doesn't add any value.  It's just updating references in the database that wouldn't need to be updated if I could publish using 'latest iteration of as-stored revision'.

Highlighted

Tom,

If this is still an issue I think I have a solution for you.

If I understand the problem correctly you want a snapshot of the drawing and the required dependencies in their latest configuration at the moment the drawing is released.

If this describes what you want this is very doable.

Have you tried using the APIs to create a ManagedBaseline that consists of the Drawing and all Required dependencies using Latest ConfigSpec. If you create this baseline the moment the drawing is released you'll have your snapshot.

When you publish you can reference the Baseline either using the GUI or if need be using the APIs.

When you publish using the APIs you pass the ManagedBaseline to the doPublish method by using it to create a BaselineConfigSpec.

Hope this help and sorry for the slow reply.  I've been out of the Windchill coding scene for a while but I am back in the game again.  If you know anyone who needs help let me know.

David Graham

Announcements