cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Configuring BackupExec

MarkPlimley
6-Contributor

Configuring BackupExec

Experts:

I have a customer installing Symantec BackupExec on his Windchill 9.1 Oracle database server. In the configuration, it is not accepting the oracle username/password. He has tried both the system account and Windchill dbUser account, and neither one works. I had him use sqlplus to confirm that he was using the correct password.

Which one is he supposed to be using, and does anyone have any tips to get this done? Obviously, I have not done this myself.

Also, BackupExec has a checkbox to use a Recovery Catalog. I assume this is something that a dba would set up and that it is not something that gets configured in an out of the box installation.

Much appreciation for any feedback,

Mark Plimley

PLM Implementor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mike,

We don't user Oracle here at SNC, so I can't really help you out. However, I did stumble upon this walk through:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-configure-backup-exec-oracle-agent-practical-step-step-instructions

You need to trouble shoot your connectivity between the application and Oracle. That's where I would start.

Do you have any monitoring tools that will help you in determining if Backup EXEC is even attempting to authenticate against the Oracle server? I know with MS SQL I can trace in real time who / what is attempting to authenticate. Is the windows firewall or anit-virus running on the server that is preventing a port from being accessed?

Good luck!

Patrick

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

1. Please have your DBA check:
tnsnames.ora and listener.ora files (They are in ORACLE_HOME/network/admin folder)
2. BackupExec uses Oracle RMAN to backup/recover your database.
You have 2 choices:
A. For Windchill environment and not many Oracle databases
If you do not check the "Recovery Catalog" then RMAN will write to Oracle controlfiles.
B. For big environment (i.e. many Oracle instances in your shop) and have dedicated DBA
Check the "Recovery Catalog" then RMAN will write to both controlfiles and catalog.
(Yes, you need to ask DBA to create Recovery Catalog for you. If you need help please let us know.

Mike L.

Thank you for the info. This customer does not have a dba. This is acutally quite common for small shops with just a handfull of PDMLink CAD users.

But this does fill in some blanks about the Recovery Catalog option. We will skip that.

The tnsnames.ora and listener.ora files do not really answer the question why the backup exec configuration is not accepting a username and password for the connection to Oracle. Unless he has the wrong port number or hostname somewhere.

Mark

Mike,

We don't user Oracle here at SNC, so I can't really help you out. However, I did stumble upon this walk through:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-configure-backup-exec-oracle-agent-practical-step-step-instructions

You need to trouble shoot your connectivity between the application and Oracle. That's where I would start.

Do you have any monitoring tools that will help you in determining if Backup EXEC is even attempting to authenticate against the Oracle server? I know with MS SQL I can trace in real time who / what is attempting to authenticate. Is the windows firewall or anit-virus running on the server that is preventing a port from being accessed?

Good luck!

Patrick

I forgot to mention that you need to use the 'sys' user for RMAN; 'system' cannot be used.

Patrick,

That article looks like what we need. I will have the admin follow the suggestions and hopefully he will be able to get it configured.

Thanks for all the ideas. This is new to me and I really appreciate the replies.

Mark

Top Tags