cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Configuring Windchill for SolidWorks

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Configuring Windchill for SolidWorks

I'm looking for information from PTC or anyone else that explains how to configure Windchill 10.2 to support SolidWorks files. I have the workgroup manager installed on the server but the SolidWorks file types are not listed as valid MIME types and they don't seem to be listed as an option when creating new documents. I'm trying to figure out what all needs to be configured to allow Windchill to properly handle these files. Thanks!

Tom U.

[cid:image001.png@01CF9AC1.76E41B20]
2 REPLIES 2

Hi Tom,

It seems you are missing CAD Document templates. Check CS41382<">https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS41382&posno=4&q=New%20CAD%20Document%20Solidworks&nav=ptcproductgroups||windchill||Product+Group||windchill&source=Search>

Or at Site or context level check if the CAD Documents templates are hidden or not. Else create a new template Windchill should automatically identify the file type and corresponding authoring application.

Thanks,
Shashi

Tom,
Wrt the "New CAD Doc" UI Shashi is correct - looks like you have not got any templates configured. See Windchill Help Center<.">http://www.ptc.com/cs/help/windchill_hc/wc102_hc/index.jspx?id=TemplatesDocCreate&action=show>. With 10.2 we have included Out of the Box templates for SolidWorks for a new install to avoid this confusion, therefore I gather you have upgraded from a previous Windchill release - we don't load these default templates as part of an upgrade as existing customers who have configured their own company specific templates would not be particularly happy if they suddenly had a bunch of default Windchill templates added. However, lack templates for the New CAD Doc utility does not stop you creating models in SolidWorks and Checking In.

I am not sure what you mean by valid MIME types; the Windchill server understands SolidWorks files as valid file types, there is nothing needed to 'enable' file . You install the WWGM from the server, register SolidWorks with the WWGM, and you are ready to go. You need to do this to create a CAD Document in WIndchill from which to create your Template.

Thanks,
Neil.

Top Tags