cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Create an object from email

mspencer
5-Regular Member

Create an object from email

Has anyone worked with creating an object based on an email sent to Windchill? I am wondering if this is possible without too much customization. Specifically I am interested in users being able to create problem reports by sending an email (with a subject, message, and attachments) to WC and having WC automatically create a problem report based on the email contents.

We have a trac server for testing which leverages similar capabilites via an 'email2trac' utility (https://oss.trac.surfsara.nl/email2trac).

Thanks, Max

4 REPLIES 4

I did build prototype of exactly same requirement few months back. you can write one java program and run it every hour using windows job scheduler.

Use java.mail API’s to read the email from static email address (Windchill’s email address) and use Windchill API to create the Objects

This seems to be simple and possible without too much customization however it is completely depend on what do you want to read from email.

Hope it helps !!!

Thanks,

Shreyas

Is the email server on the same server as Windchill. If so, what type? Just
need to Google for something similar where somebody is reading messages
from a mailbox. Can also look into JMS but that is overkill.

Once a message is received need to fork to method to create problem report.
I've thought about building a configurable interface like this in the past
using a custom Windchill queue.

As for this being a customization, I'd consider it moderate due to it not
impacting the database or data type model. Effort still entailed but can
borrow from Google search results for code snippets.
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:mspencer)

If this is a desired capability in Windchill, please consider submitting a Windchill Product Idea for it. Maybe not for the specific need to create a PR or CR, but a general utility making it easier to "configure" the creation of new objects from an email message.

I get asked about creating new Windchill documents via email every once in a while...

-Scott

jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:mspencer)

The key here, of course is security.

E-mail is rather insecure -- unless, of course, you use private-public
key encryption.

At that point, however, it's less convenient....

Top Tags