cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Creating an ACL rule to allow the Design Engineer Role to create and manage folders

mdebower
18-Opal

Creating an ACL rule to allow the Design Engineer Role to create and manage folders

hello all,

I am in the middle of setting up a test server from scratch and I have been banging my head against the proverbial wall this afternoon trying to figure out how to set up an ACL rule to allow the Design Engineer role to create and manage folders. So far no luck.

What am I missing? Windchill 10.0

-marc

----=----
Urgent messages: I try to limit checking email to 3-4 times per day. If you have an urgent message for me, please call or stop by.

7 REPLIES 7
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:mdebower)

Assign to the object type: SubFolder

Aha!

I had found the SubFolder type, but evidently you need to leave the permissions at full? Removing some of the permissions seems to disable the ability to create a folder at all...

I tried to not grant Change Domain, Change Context, and Change Permissions, but then was unable to create a folder...

-marc

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

For the subfolder object type, only Read, Create and Modify apply.

Change Domain & Change Context are "move" permissions. There is a third "move" permission, which is Create by Move.

Change Permissions (believe it or not) allows users to share to / check out to projects from PDM and are not involved for Folders.

Hello all,

I'm also having the need to allow a role in a context to create subfolders in that context. I have the ACL set in a manner described in this thread:

Domain: PDM

Context: (our company organization)

Type: SubFolder

State: All

Principal: Super User

Grant Permissions: Full Control (All)

Yet when I test this with a normal user in the Super User role, they are unable to create subfolders. The option is not on the File New menu.

Our Windchill: 9.1 M050.

Anyone had this experience and overcome it?

Modify cabinet permission?

Profiles getting in the way?

Do you maintain all OOTB permission on context or define all your own ACL's in a modifief context template or previosly created one?

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone
rpassolt
5-Regular Member

If you are looking for folder level access controls similar to how INTRALINK 3.4 worked then you need to check out a presentation Ross from Fishbowl Solutions gave a couple years ago at PTC User (or was it Planet PTC).

He walks thru the manual steps, which are many...but if you only need to manage a couple then it's not bad. However, we have customers that required to manage thousands so we created a product to do this.

It's on our website at http://www.fishbowlsolutions.com/PTCSolutions/FishbowlPTCAutomationandIntegrationSolutions/SolutionsForPDMLink/linkSecurity/linkSecurity

The web page mentions 9.1, but we have updated for 10.X.

I've also attached the PPT from the other year so you can see the manual approach (granted it was probably 9.1).

Hello all,

Thanks for the fast replies!

After some digging we found that it was indeed a Profile that was hiding the New Folder command.

Thanks again!

Top Tags