cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Creo Parametric Parameter -> Windchill Attribute Mapping - Legacy Value Population

Brndn4
9-Granite

Creo Parametric Parameter -> Windchill Attribute Mapping - Legacy Value Population

I'm working on setting up some basic parameter -> attribute mapping in our system and would like to know our options for populating newly mapped Windchill attribute fields from existing model parameters.

From what I've learned so far, a model/drawing must be modified in session and saved to the workspace to show a value in a Windchill attribute column (in the workspace), indicating propagation. Then, of course, uploading pushes information to the server side (with validation) and check-in pushes everything to commonspace.

I also have to consider legacy data variability. While I know of parameters serving a similar purpose in past models/drawings, they are not the same and thus will have no association (still working that one out). There is also the issue of the correct parameters potentially not being designated in older content, which again, is something I need to see if I can feasibly sort.

I'll take any information anyone is willing to share on these topics, but first and foremost, if anyone can weigh in on a good process to populate attribute fields with legacy parameter data without the need for modification and check-in, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mmeadows-3
14-Alexandrite
(To:Brndn4)

1. Technically, parameter values are passed from Creo to Windchill by the WGM.  Your workspace (local cache) will show the new values upon save and Windchill (server-side workspace) will show them after synchronization.

Going the opposite way, parameters are retrieved from Windchill to the local cache during download.  When Creo opens, the values in Creo update according to the values in the local cache.

2. Relations can be inserted to calculate additional parameter values.  That means the relations plus all parameters used in the relations must be created and maintained in Creo Parametric.  This gets us back to Mapkeys and ModelCHECK.  Depending on the logic, it can get messy and permanently add temporary calculation attributes to your models.

FYI:  GENIUS TOOLS Model Processor is a commercial product suite that can make all these changes and much, much more.  The logic is kept in Model Processor so Creo only gets the final transferred/calculated values.  The functionality of these packages is the same, the primary differences are runtime modes.

• Model Processor User enables your users to fix models upon open/close (triggered) or interactively (UI pick).  It runs against the currently active model in Creo.
  • Model Processor Report can analyze models residing in Windchill or on disk, export reports, and export neutral formats.  It just can't save changes to models.
  • Model Processor Rework does everything that Report does, plus it can save changes to models.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Let's start at the bottom.

Any modifications of parameters that require an upload into Windchill will have to be checked out and then back in to drive the data transfer.

You can use batch ModelCheck to update parameters or you could use a mapkey. We use a mapkey to add and designate 7 parameters that we needed in our parts and assemblies as we started the Creo design work before the Windchill system was fully configured.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:BenLoosli)

I agree with Ben on these two ways.  I don't know of any others.

@Brndn4 Does this solve your issue?  Please mark as accepted if so.

Thank you for the insight. (You too, @STEVEG, for the confirmation). Sorry, but I would like to expand on this further as this has led to further, related questions.

1. It seems like saving an object (with a designated parameter) to the workspace is what gets Windchill to propagate the parameter value and may be the only way. Is that correct? This is what I'm seeing when I add attribute columns to my workspace and monitor value propagation before and after save. I now otherwise understand that iterating the object is the only way to get the value into commonspace and log the change in the history.
  2. Regarding legacy parameters, do you have any experience creating an attribute as calculated and letting the value be dictated by either of 2 parameters (or more)? I'm starting to look into this more now (the formula), but the idea is to primarily use the ideal parameters and if they don't exist or are empty, then to use deprecated/alternate parameter values, instead.
    1. I suspect this is where ModelCHECK can come into play. Depending on functionality and options of the aforementioned, we could try to batch create/fill/designate the current parameters, or simply make sure the old ones are designated to then let the Windchill attribute calculations sort out the values displayed.
mmeadows-3
14-Alexandrite

1. Technically, parameter values are passed from Creo to Windchill by the WGM.  Your workspace (local cache) will show the new values upon save and Windchill (server-side workspace) will show them after synchronization.

Going the opposite way, parameters are retrieved from Windchill to the local cache during download.  When Creo opens, the values in Creo update according to the values in the local cache.

2. Relations can be inserted to calculate additional parameter values.  That means the relations plus all parameters used in the relations must be created and maintained in Creo Parametric.  This gets us back to Mapkeys and ModelCHECK.  Depending on the logic, it can get messy and permanently add temporary calculation attributes to your models.

FYI:  GENIUS TOOLS Model Processor is a commercial product suite that can make all these changes and much, much more.  The logic is kept in Model Processor so Creo only gets the final transferred/calculated values.  The functionality of these packages is the same, the primary differences are runtime modes.

• Model Processor User enables your users to fix models upon open/close (triggered) or interactively (UI pick).  It runs against the currently active model in Creo.
  • Model Processor Report can analyze models residing in Windchill or on disk, export reports, and export neutral formats.  It just can't save changes to models.
  • Model Processor Rework does everything that Report does, plus it can save changes to models.

Top Tags