cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Deleted Part

ErikZabokrtsky
8-Gravel

Deleted Part

Have a user who deleted a part that wasn't supposed to be deleted.

Can someone give me the process to recover just that one part? Is there a way to get it from version history?

Thanks in Advance

3 REPLIES 3

Is there really no way to recover just one file? Seems like a pretty crappy practice if the only way to recover a document is to recover the entire database...

Second that!

Searching for a related issue I ran across your post.

I have recovered deleted or corrupted parts by digging around in the user's Pro/E - Windchill workspace cache on the workstation and also in the Windchill "defaultcachevault". It's painful because the filenames are numeric so you have to open each one until you find the right one.

Best case - If the user is storing his cad in a windchill workspace there will be a cached copy of that workspace on the workstation under the users home directory, can't remember the path off the top of my head.

You can open part files in notepad more quickly than in Pro/E just to look for the part name.

Worst case - Look in the Windchill defaultcachevault directory. If the user is checking his parts in, there will be a copy in the "defaultcachevault" until the "purgeunreferenced" job cleans it out, if it ever does. If you aren't the windchill admin, ask your windchill admin to let you look around in there. This is much more work because every file checked into windchill gets copied into the defaultcachevault before being uploaded to the final vault so there are a lot of other files in there.

What I wish for is a configuration option in Windchill to "move deleted files to holding area" that I could then clean out based on file age whenever I wanted.

Top Tags