cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Desktop Integration and Acrobat (or other PDF)? WC10.1 M020

kpritchard
4-Participant

Desktop Integration and Acrobat (or other PDF)? WC10.1 M020

Hi All,

I'm looking at Desktop Integration as a potential way to address user complaints about the number of clicks to dowload a Document. From what I can see there's no way to filter by State and/or Latest in Windows Explorer - please tell me I'm missing something because that's probably a non starter right there.

Use case is Creo Drawings are exported to PDF and stored as primary content in a WTDocument. Multiple reasons for this approach including being able to "hardwire" the relationship to WTPart and needed user control of Drawing image at "plottng". Drawings get digital signatures applied as part of the approval process. Unfortunately, user experience has resulted in the approval process occurring offline via emails and Network Folders, upstream of WC CM Workflow (completing Change Task). I'd be interested to hear how others are addressing Digital Signatures withing workflows.

Other stakeholders are non-engineering (purchasing). DTI would be a great way for buyers to access drawings (pdf's) via drag and drop. It probably means getting to a single Drawings Library (unfortunately OIR's only do Relative Paths, not Absolute so that's another discussion). Assuming that all drawings (PDF's) were stored in a single Context, a view or filters would be needed to ensure that only latest and Released were visible to these users.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Looks like some of what you want to do is there or coming in Windchill 10.2

Take a look at the PTC Technology Keynote video around the 47 min. mark at http://www.ptc.com/events/ptc-live-global-keynotes-2013/ there is a demo of both filtering based on State and drag & drop replacement of primary WTDocument content.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:kpritchard)

I have uploaded the Windchill Desktop Integration video referenced above to the Windchill Community under the videos tab titled Windchill 10.2 Desktop Integration. It does not have any audio, but shows most of the new capabilites implemented for 10.2 F000.

The choice to control Revision display has been added to a property for now, allowing admins to universally configure the system to show ALL revisions or only LATEST in Windows Explorer. The goal is to integrate the revision display into the selected folder view giving you the same flexibility as the browser.

Top Tags