cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Document Revisions in Windchill

ArronCochran
1-Newbie

Document Revisions in Windchill

All,

In Windchill, why is it that when I revise a document that is on Revision A.0 and released that I cannot create the new revision, B.0 in this example, and edit the content at the same time?

For example, I have an operator’s manual that is on Revision A.0 and is released. I need to make some modifications and create Revision B.0 and then make it released. To do so, I have to check out and edit the Revison 1.0 and make my changes, and check it back in, which will bump the iteration up to A.1. Now, I can create the new revision of B.0, but the content will be exactly the same as A.1, so if somebody wants to see what changed from A.1 to B.0, it appears that nothing has changed since the revisions are identical.

I realize that another way to create the revision B.0 would be to create the new revision from A.0, but then when you make the changes to B.0; it will bump the iteration up and now becomes B.1.

Any way that you look at it, I am going to end up with duplicate versions, both A.1 and B.0 will be the same, or B.0 and B.1 will be the same.

Does anyone know of a better way of handling the revision/iteration levels with documents?

Thanks,

Arron Cochran

2 REPLIES 2

Wasteful of disk space and lines in history tables, and a bit confusing but yes this is exactly how it works - no real choice to handle any differently.

All involved rapidly get used to the fact that anything at the first Iteration has not yet been modified.

The New Revision B.0 will point to the same file in the file vault as the
Released A.0 as they are identical, so not that much waist of disk space
in the vault. Not as bad an implementatin as it might look like.
/Bjarne

"Lockwood,Mike,IRVINE,R&D" <mike.lockwood@alconlabs.com>
01-12-2010 02:29
Please respond to
"Lockwood,Mike,IRVINE,R&D" <mike.lockwood@alconlabs.com>

To
Arron Cochran <->
"-" <->
cc

Subject
[solutions] - RE: Document Revisions in Windchill

Wasteful of disk space and lines in history tables, and a bit confusing