cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Does Query Builder have an option that works like a CASE statement?

rnewcomb
1-Newbie

Does Query Builder have an option that works like a CASE statement?

I am new to Windchill.  I have some experiencing in creating reports using other software.  What I want to do is create a report that shows the current incomplete task and assignee associated with an open change request.  If a change notice is associated with a change request, I want to  display the current incomplete task and assignee associated with the the change notice.  As I understand it, when I retrieve the tasks associated with the CR, I'm only retrieving the tasks within the CR's workflow.  In order to also retrieve the CN task, I would need to have the query check the state of the CR and if it is approved, retrieve the task associated with the change notice's workflow.   In my past experience, I would have used a CASE statement  to provide the IF - THEN- ELSE functionality but I'm stumped on how to do that within query builder.  Has anyone done something similar?  I've read every resource document I can find but I have yet to come across anything that seems to address this type of situation.

2 REPLIES 2

Rachel,

you can read also this document Resource for reporting if you haven't already done.

There is a section dedicated to CN-CR query

Also take a look at this document Query Builder for Live Project Status Reports (NPI, Large Engineering Change, etc.)

Marco
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:rnewcomb)

Haven't ever really thought of IF - THEN - ELSE for query builder - just criteria.

Since for change management, the PR (if used), CR, CN, CT are "nested" in terms of getting to Resolved, one can focus on for example CR's that are not yet at either Resolved or Canceled, and then find related CNs, CTs and report on their workflow Tasks.

The statement above starts with a Task on a CR, but generally the CR workflow is at a synch robot waiting for the CN, which may also be at a synch robot waiting for associated CT, which in turn is waiting for CT workflow Task.

In general, start with WIP, CR's, navigate to related CN' and their related CT's, and then to the related workflow processes and Tasks.

Seems that many, many people have these or almost the same.  Lots of examples around.  Diagrams of the objects are very helpful.

Top Tags