cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Does anybody know about a new version (for 10.2) of the "Windchill PartsLink Classification and Reuse Administrator’s Guide"?

ThomasOberhem
1-Newbie

Does anybody know about a new version (for 10.2) of the "Windchill PartsLink Classification and Reuse Administrator’s Guide"?

The latest I found is for 10.1 M030! There are a lot of outdated chapters in it, they do not reflect the changes made.

When searching the reference documents for PartsLink (All Versions, All Types) for 10.2 only the "Windchill Content Overview" and "Read me First" docs are offered.

Am I missing something?

Best Regards,

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I took a look, but I wasn't able to find a 10.2 version of the guide, either. Though, I did find article CS179576, which discusses the functionality changes in partslink 10.2.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

I took a look, but I wasn't able to find a 10.2 version of the guide, either. Though, I did find article CS179576, which discusses the functionality changes in partslink 10.2.

Is there a particular question you have about PartsLink?  My company has a lot of experience with PartsLink, including implementation, bulk classification, configuration, etc.

A few months ago I gave a demo on PartsLink.  You can access it here.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  You can also respond to me at robert.sindelar@eccellent.com, if you like.

Thanks Bob, this was a very interesting demo for the user side of PartsLink!

What I'm missing is exactly the two points you mentioned on the last sheet:

- bulk creation of the classification tree

- bulk creation of classified parts

Do you have anything you are willing to share about that?

Those last two bullet points are not OOTB elements of Windchill as far as the "bulk" methods are concerned.  They are services that my company (Eccellent Solutions) can provide.  We have developed ways to create the classification tree and classify existing parts as necessary, in a method where it can be defined up front.

I'd be happy to provide a quote for you if you are interested.  Feel free to send me a direct e-mail with answers to the following questions:

1. How large do you expect your "initial" classification schema to be, in terms of number of nodes?  (A ballpark number is acceptable here.  I would say a small structure is in the mid 100s of nodes, an "average" structure to be around 1,500 or so nodes, and a "large" structure being multiple thousands of nodes).
  2. How many WTParts in your Windchill do you feel would need bulk classification?  (Again, ballark number is fine).
  3. Do you already have an idea of what your classification schema will look like?  Or are you looking to build one from scratch (we can provide a workshop to assist with that too).

Looking forward to your response!

Hi Bob,

thank you for the link. The best demonstration I have seen so far. very detailed and comprehensive.

Best regards

Bob,

that tool did you use for those videos. You can t put them full screen nor can t use move forward.

Best regards

Hi Chris,

thanks for that link, but it doesn't really explain a lot. I hope PTC brings out a new document version, at least for 11.0

Hi Thomas -

We're no longer producing a PDF guide for PartsLink. However, all the content from the guide is available in the Windchill Help Center. To navigate there manually:

Additional PTC Windchill Capabilities > Windchill PartsLink—Classification Administration. Or, a link to the PTC.com page.

To view and print all the topics at once, highlight the top topic and click the "publish topic collection" icon:

publish.PNG

Thanks Caitlin, there are some interesting details in it!

Also, as a heads up - I took over this documentation at 11.0, and made a lot of changes (that I hope are improvements). Those changes should be available when we get the 11.0 help center uploaded to ptc.com.

Obviously, some changes are specific to the PartsLink enhancements - but those particular topics are relatively easy to identify as being about new functionality (integrated search, autonaming rules, import from csv).

Top Tags