cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Does anyone know how to send out automatic emails after an account is created in Windchill?

mkohn
3-Visitor

Does anyone know how to send out automatic emails after an account is created in Windchill?

All,

We want automatic emails to go to the people whose accounts were just created in Windchill. Does anyone know or has a process designed?

Thanks,

Mitch

4 REPLIES 4
BenPerry
13-Aquamarine
(To:mkohn)

If you're just looking to send them a link to Windchill to log in, you could perhaps go to your homepage after creating the users.  And then click on the Email This Page link.  But that is not something that is automated, like you are suggesting.

That is, however, a good idea.  Give the option to email the user when creating a new user in Windchill.  But what about users created through AD integration - that aren't created through the Windchill UI?  We'd have to figure that out.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

That is a good idea.  And it must be configurable like a box for notes that would go in the email.

ddemay
1-Newbie

Do you want to program this with customization, or are you inquiring how to do this with just configuration?

More details would be helpful.

That being said, customization is the easiest way to go via establishing a custom windchill queue.

I have source code that does this, but I cannot release it in its current state due to IP prviliges, so I would have to redo it.  I have thought about coming up with a generic utilities app store to allow others to utilize my features extending out of the box in a carte blanche subscription "all you can eat" fashion but I just have not had the time to kick it off this year.

In case you do not reply, and others view this thread...

The Windchill queue would query WTUser table for the persistable create timestamp and compare to current system time versus last queue execution time. Alternatively you can have a database trigger do something similar and let the server send out an email based on a template. Ugly, but possible. Last thing I can think of is configuring JMX to send an email for new user account created, but you really cannot control this formatting aspect unless the message is sent to a special email box checked by a scheduled process that reads the email and reacts to it by sending a different email.  A log file parser is also possible, but all of these are really ugly.  An "upgrade safe" approach is the customized Windchill queue using features of Java to send e-mail using a HTML template; you could hack into unsupported Windchill API or Info*Engine to do this, but again, ugly.

Please reply and let me know what you have in mind.

On a configuration basis, you may be able to again utilize JMX, but haven't dived deep into it enough yet to provide a firmer answer.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:ddemay)

From my perspective I would like to see it part of the system.  Not any level of customization.

Top Tags