cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Does revision of a wtpart can update the new revision reference in all its product structures?

NP_10570407
10-Marble

Does revision of a wtpart can update the new revision reference in all its product structures?

Consider two  scenarios,

1. A wtpart with number 0001, A.1 is used in 7 different product structures.

By revising that wtpart to B.1 , will the new revision B.1 get updated in 7 different product structures as well?

How to achieve this?

2. A 2D drawing with A.1 revision is referenced(associated) by 15 wtparts. by revising drawing to B.1, will this latest revision updated on its associated wtparts also?

How to achieve this.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

1. No (but you will see the new revision of the part in those product structures when viewing "latest" BOM)

2. No, unless you include and revise the associated wtparts along with the drawing.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

1. No (but you will see the new revision of the part in those product structures when viewing "latest" BOM)

2. No, unless you include and revise the associated wtparts along with the drawing.

Thanks for the reply  jbailey.

Is this the same behavior in latest WC 12 also?

Yes it is.

If you need to update parent assembly you need to collect it in a revise wizard or change process.

There is function collect parent

HelesicPetr_0-1693477216571.png

Then collect CAD Documents and drawings

sure you will need to update the parent assemblies with drawings. 

PetrH

Hi PetrH

Thanks for describing the parent function to collect the necessary assemblies above a change.

I don't have this function in my view during revise. Do you have any idea how this can be added?

I tried to search the Windchill help, but was unable to find any useful info there.

AN_9350055_0-1694670632857.png

Hi @AN_9350055 

It depends what Windchill module is installed. 

This button is added if MPMLink is installed. 

Now days you can install MPMLink with advanced license and you do not need to use any mpm objects, but it brings you some additional value for general work. 

PetrH

HI PetrH

Thanks for clarification, this makes sense as we have PDMLink currently installed. But I have an advanced liecense so will talk to my supplier how to integrate MPMLink to get this feature. The parent feature will show all levels to top assembly if doing a change at sublevel 4 as example?

Best Regards Arild

HI @AN_9350055 

It collects first parent level, then you need to select the collected parents and use the button again and again to get the top level. 

PetrH

It is the behavior in every version of Windchill. Good configuration management practices say that a revision to a part shouldn't affect the usage of an upper level assembly, if so (Form, Fit or Function has changed) then a new part number should be issued - which would require a revise for the upper level.

For the BOM, there are an indefinite number of "configurations" Working, Latest, based on Baseline, based on change, promotion request, effectivity etc.

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I
(To:jbailey)

Hi @jbailey 

Many companies do not follow this very important idea of the revision change management. 

Thanks that there are many complains that system does not work as they expected.

PetrH

Oh, I know... The big step many companies "miss" when they move to an enterprise tool (whether it is PLM, ERP, PDM etc) is they don't review "what" and "why" they do what they do know to get real requirements. They carry bad/paper processes and ideas into the tool.

Hi jbailey,

I have ended up in another situation.

For scenario#2, I have revised a 3D CAD Part(one wtpart is associated) without selecting "Collect related Parts", 3D Part got revised from A.1 to B.1. But in the related objects of 3D Part B.1 rev, wtpart is not showing up, whereas in A.1 rev, it is showing. How to get the wtpart associated with B.1 rev of 3D CAD Part?

Thanks in advance.

NP_10570407_0-1693484079711.png

NP_10570407_1-1693484124607.png

You would have to revise the wtpart to rev B, edit associations to remove the rev B of the CAD to the rev a of the wtpart and then associate it to rev B 

Next time, 

Revise the 3D part together with WTPart, you do not have to do a linking correction

This is common behavior, and user needs to be educated to know about this situation.

Also you can set revise collator that the 3D model is collected with WTpart automatically. but it has to be in the revise wizard together

PetrH

Thanks a ton to jbailey and HelesicPetr for your valuable inputs

Top Tags