cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Duplicate Numbers

ErikZabokrtsky
8-Gravel

Duplicate Numbers

Simple question hopefully, just curious and can't find a straightforward answer in documentation.

Can you have two of the same name/number parts in two different products? I ask for the sake of bringing a new product line into our system from a new company acquisition that has a few part numbers the same.

Example: 

12345.prt   in    Automotive Product

12345.prt   in    Industrial Product

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ErikZabokrtsky)

No.  Object uniqueness is defined at either the site level or at the organization level.  To the best of my knowledge it can not be managed at the context level.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ErikZabokrtsky)

No.  Object uniqueness is defined at either the site level or at the organization level.  To the best of my knowledge it can not be managed at the context level.

This is really important.

If you have 12345.prt in the system already and it happens to be a cube - and bring in an assembly (via import to workspace) that includes 12345.prt, and it happens to be a sphere, the user is faced with:

a) substitute the sphere for the cube in the assy being brought in (e.g. select to Modify)

b) iterate 12345.prt already in the system, changing it to a sphere

For this reason, bringing absolutely everything that is going to be imported into a single workspace, and then resolving conflicts has to be planned and done.

Can and need to rename in the workspace and then check in. Can't rename until everything with dependencies has been brought into the workspace.

Renaming may change what is on drawing tables, etc.

OK that is what I figured. They are AutoDesk files, so I will probably end up just using their Vaulting system for now then. Thanks for the replies!

Top Tags