cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Dynamic Roles-Access Control Rules-Org or Site level

davehaigh
11-Garnet

Dynamic Roles-Access Control Rules-Org or Site level

Looking at the on-line help for Roles I see this: (PDMLink 9.1-m070)

Create a new Spec Writer role<">https://windchill-u.llnl.gov/Windchill-WHC/wt/helpfiles/help/online/policyadmin/PolicyAdminDynamicRolesAbout.html?queryId=13bb506dfe9> from the Roles<">https://windchill-u.llnl.gov/Windchill-WHC/wt/helpfiles/help/online/policyadmin/PolicyAdminDynamicRolesAbout.html?queryId=13bb506dfe9> table in the Demo Organization context.

Launch the Policy Administrator from the Utilities page in the Demo Organization context.

From the Domains window, select the Default (organization - Demo Organization) domain and then click Update.

From the Access Control tab on the Administrative Domain window, click Create.

From the Access Control Rule window, select the following:
Field

Value to Select

Type

Select WTDocument.

State

Select All.

Permissions

Select Read, Download, Modify, Modify Content, Create By Move, and Create.

Principal

From the Roles<">https://windchill-u.llnl.gov/Windchill-WHC/wt/helpfiles/help/online/policyadmin/PolicyAdminDynamicRolesAbout.html?queryId=13bb506dfe9> tab, select Context Team Role<:">https://windchill-u.llnl.gov/Windchill-WHC/wt/helpfiles/help/online/policyadmin/PolicyAdminDynamicRolesAbout.html?queryId=13bb506dfe9>: Spec Writer; then click Add to add the dynamic role<">https://windchill-u.llnl.gov/Windchill-WHC/wt/helpfiles/help/online/policyadmin/PolicyAdminDynamicRolesAbout.html?queryId=13bb506dfe9> as the principal.

Click OK to create the rule.

Problem is I don't see a Roles tab. Just have Groups, Users, & Organizations. ????????????? All the roles show a context of Site. So shouldn't I see them?
[cid:image001.png@01CDDDEF.3B7CA880]

David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

7 REPLIES 7

[cid:image002.png@01CDDDFD.6F4C7B00]

[cid:image003.gif@01CDDDFD.6F4C7B00]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer

Ah! What would cause some of my custom roles to show in the list and some not to show? They all show a site context.

David Haigh

Hi David, If you are creating roles that will be used in a Workflow, then you need to use the Enumcustomize tool and edit the RBInfo file under "project" to add in additional roles. If you only add them via the Org>Roles tab then they will not be present in your workflow list iirc. I'm guessing this is what you are running into

[cid:image002.gif@01CDDE02.31CCAB10]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer

Thanks to Steve for the obvious answer, just make the window larger so you can see the other tab.

Next question. So far no joy on this from PTC. So perhaps one of you knows.

When you are defining an access control rule, the Roles tab doesn't show all the roles in the system.
[cid:image002.png@01CDDE97.F9F9AD50]

I'm missing these roles in the list.
I'm missing these:
Product Manager
Project Manager
Engineer
Lead Designer

Lead Designer is a custom role. My other custom roles show up.

On the Organization, Roles tab, I see this:
[cid:image003.png@01CDDE98.A3E2D6C0] Shows up in list - custom role
[cid:image004.png@01CDDE98.A3E2D6C0]Shows up in list - custom role
[cid:image005.png@01CDDE99.1379E2D0] Shows up in list
[cid:image006.png@01CDDE99.1379E2D0] Doesn't show up in list
[cid:image007.png@01CDDE99.1379E2D0]Doesn't show up in list - custom role
[cid:image008.png@01CDDE99.AF93BD30] Doesn't show up in list
[cid:image009.png@01CDDE99.AF93BD30] Doesn't show up in list
[cid:image010.png@01CDDE99.AF93BD30] Shows up in list
[cid:image011.png@01CDDE99.AF93BD30] shows up in list - custom role

This appears to be opposite land. If I change the items that don't show up so they appear like this.
[cid:image012.png@01CDDE9C.CA1BB3D0]

The icon the action column appear to disagree. Now that I'm writing this it occurs to me maybe I'm wrong, perhaps that's a status column. But then shouldn't the words be Hidden, and Shown?

David Haigh

Can you get us a screenshot of this missing role as it exists in the rbinfo file (via enumcustomize)?

[cid:image013.gif@01CDDE9E.21E9EC70]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer

Well actually I understand how to manipulate it now. It's just that the user interface is non-intuitive.

What you need to do is go to the Roles Tab, and change the visibility of the roles you want to see in the Access Control Rule window.

Problem is the user interface isn't logical.
[cid:image006.png@01CDDE99.1379E2D0]This doesn't show up in the list
[cid:image012.png@01CDDE9C.CA1BB3D0]This does shows up in the list

The eyball icon, is not the status, it's actually showing what it's going to do if you click on it. I wouldn't have guessed that, and there is no name on the column to let you know what it is.
The next column with Hide & Show in it, is the status. But as I pointed out to PTC those are verbs, and thus should naturally be an action to take. I believe that should say Hidden & Shown, indicating a state. Verbs = Actions. I forget what grade I learned that in, but it was pretty darn early.

David Haigh
Not applicable
(To:davehaigh)

I think I put in a ticket on this a few years ago back in 8.0. Obviously
it's still there.

Happy New Year!

~Dan

Announcements

Top Tags