cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Empty geometry (Bulk Items) components quantities in multiple assemblies

AA_9654680
4-Participant

Empty geometry (Bulk Items) components quantities in multiple assemblies

I am using Windchill PDMLink Release 12.0 and Datecode with CPS 12.0.0.0

I need instructions on how to handle components in assembly without a geometry (e.g. paint, oil, tape,...). I found some examples in Internet that Creo handles this through Bulk items, however I was not able to create different quantities between multiple assemblies driving the quantity from CAD. In SOLIDWORKS this is possible to handle using Virtual Components, however even enabling virtual components in Windchill the result is not achievable.

10 REPLIES 10
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:AA_9654680)

Bulk Items typically do not have a quantity listed in the drawing BOM but a AR (As Required) in the quantity field of the repeat region.

Define this in the Repeat Region relations:

IF asm_mbr_type == "BULK ITEM"
quantity = "AR"
ELSE
quantity = rpt_qty
ENDIF

Add the Parameter:
QUANTITY

In the BOM table use &asm.mbr.quantity for the repeating value in the Quantity column.

AA_9654680
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

But how can I achieve the same with SOLIDWORKS? Also this BOM quantity needs to be replicated later to ERP, so at least an estimate needs to be provided.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

There is no physical quantity with a Bulk Item. it is strictly a place holder for the item.

This is a PTC community for Creo and Windchill and I have no idea how SolidWorks works, never used it.

jbailey
17-Peridot
(To:BenLoosli)

I wouldn't be so brash in that statement. Many organizations are multi-cad (and some for very good reason).  This is a Windchill forum, Where Windchill supports Creo, Solidworks, Catia, NX, Autocad etc. The OP's post is about solving a Windchill problem. The solution may well be in Solidworks.  We should be open to helping everyone here trying to solve a problem.

@AA_9654680 I would agree with @avillanueva to not try and spend a bunch of time customizing (unless Solidworks is your primary tool). Are you using WTpart structure for your BOM? IF so, do you rely on auto-creation of wtparts? if That's the case, maybe a wtpart vs CAD model driving the BOM is more appropriate. One thing to think about is what problem are you trying to solve? Are you trying to "make it work" because that's how it is done in a paper world? Then you might need to be a little more creative. The reality these days is that the BOM is way more than comes out of the CAD tool. Think of all those things you NEVER would make a CAD model for... packaging... firmware... software... spare parts ... manuals ... but they all have a place.  Come up with your real end goal first.. what is your end state, and then it might be easier for the community to suggest a solution.

AA_9654680
4-Participant
(To:jbailey)

@jbailey SOLIDWORKS is my primary CAD tool. Our goal is to insert into CAD those bulk items therefore this component's usage will be replicated for BOM tables in 2D drawings and for the WT Parts Structure that is automatically created during the CAD check-in also. My target is to avoid handling the BOM in more than one system (SOLIDWORKS and Windchill), once if the Part BOM = CAD BOM no rework would be required.

The issue that we face to use this approach is that when a component is used in more than one assembly with a different defined quantity in BOM, as the quantity is driven by an external file, is not possible to change the quantity without messing with the other assemblies.

In the past I worked with SOLIDWORKS PDM and we were able to tackle this issue by using virtual components (Components that are saved internally the assembly, without an external reference) with an empty geometry, just with the required metadata to drive the BOM quantity. I am looking for a similar feature in Windchill to handle that.

I stumbled on topic in the past but I was not following the complete instructions while importing to workspace: If the user doesn't use the "Specify Options" tab the item is created as a normal CAD Part and this blocks me to drive different Bulk Item quantities for different assemblies. Now the virtual component was created as a Ghost Item.

@jbailey do you know if it's possible to check-in ghost items and if it's possible to create WT parts from it?

I would not rely on checking in Ghost items.  WI haven't done any work with virtual components either, so very limited SW experience here. I might talk to one of our SW designers and see what they think.

Actually, when you read the help section...

"When set to Yes, the virtual component is managed the same as any other component, and a CAD document is created. When the virtual component is set to save internally from SOLIDWORKS dialog, the user must save all the virtual components externally, and ghost objects are created for such components in Windchill."

I would say that is the intended behavior in Windchill. I would check it in as a test and make sure the corresponding structure (epm and wtpart) is created in Windchill

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

If it works like Creo through the WGM, everything will be each. I would not invest time in any customization or elaborate attribute gymnastics. Here is how we handle it. If I need to have a model as a locator or placeholder in CAD, I will create one. It will appear on the Design BOM but quantity will be wrong. From there, you can edit the unit of measure and quantity which will break the association with the CAD model. Alternatively, you can just add bulk items to the BOM in Windchill manually.  We have an "as required" unit of measure for things that are indeterminate or allow the person on the floor to determine. In ERP, these are seen as point of use or zero quantity items. You can alternatively specify inches, FOZ or some other unit of measure on your BOM if you want to be more precise.

Top Tags