cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending the modeled attribute string length well beyond 500 charater limit

SOLVED
Alexandrite

Extending the modeled attribute string length well beyond 500 charater limit

Has anyone done this?  I have a request that a document type be transferred into Windchill (essentially getting rid of the document by not having primary content), the content would be entered as attributes.  The question is, has anyone done anything like this?  One of the attribute strings would need to be increased to allow 4-5 thousand characters.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Extending the modeled attribute string length well beyond 500 charater limit

We have increased an attribute to hold 1000 characters, however never tried to hold the contents of entire document.

We followed the method mentioned in Customizing Column Length .

Thanks

Binesh Kumar

Barry Wehmiller

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Extending the modeled attribute string length well beyond 500 charater limit

We have increased an attribute to hold 1000 characters, however never tried to hold the contents of entire document.

We followed the method mentioned in Customizing Column Length .

Thanks

Binesh Kumar

Barry Wehmiller

The max is 4000 characters.

Is there any downside to doing this?  You have fully tested this and running in production?

I just said that the max is 4000 characters. You won' t be able to set the size to 5000. We run this also in production mode.

I still hope that finally a WYSIWYG arrives. Then you can also document the changes etc. in a change object itself!  I would love to see that!

Bjorn,

I was not asking about character limits again...I read your first response.  I was asking if there was any downside to increasing to 4000...like retrieval times are horrible, or due to the size sometimes the UI won't render or any other degrade in performance.  BUT since you guys are running in production I would assume there are zero issues.  Thanks for the response.

There are no issues I'm aware of.

No issues that I am aware of. Running it in at least two production instances. Make sure the caches are sized good, indices are in place and dbstats are done frequenty

Thanks

Binesh Kumar

Barry Wehmiller International

Do you need InfoModeler to change the database?

Greg Olson,

According to my experience, and Guilherme Rocha‌, InfoModeler is no longer required.  I would've needed it in 9.1.  But it worked without InfoModeler when I tried in 10.2.

We can refer to this discussion: 80 character limit.