cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Family Tables and PDM Essentials

mwick
4-Participant

Family Tables and PDM Essentials

So our company has installed PDM Essentials and we are setting up our database. We currently have a lot of "common" parts, i.e. nuts, bolts, washers, fittings driven from Family Tables. I am looking for Best Practice information on how to manage these parts and part families in PDM Essentials. I have experience in other CAD and PDM systems and we always "broke" the links between the individual parts and the "seed" or "parent" part and the spreadsheet/table that drove it for link reasons.

So I am looking for some constructive ideas, experiences, and best practice information.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

2 REPLIES 2

Giving Mike a bump here...

We do not yet have PDM Essentials, but are starting to explore it. I'd also be very interested in knowing how well PDM Essentials handles family tables. Any advice or insight would be very welcome. I'm sure somebody is using PDM Essentials out there.

Thanks in advance!

kmitchell
3-Visitor
(To:mwick)

Since I've only been through one PDM/PLM migration (Intralink 3.4 to Windchill PDME 10.2), I don't know/understand what the benefit would be in breaking the relationships between generics and family table instances. (However, I don't need to know to answer your question )

I can tell you that performing the migration manually, I did not encounter issues with family tables. I did specifically export part generics and assembly generics separately from the rest of the files. Because I was worried about encountering issues with family tables, after the files were in PDME, I opened the files, forced a manual regeneration by dragging the insert arrow into the default datums, then dragging it back down to the bottom of the model tree. Then I verified the family table and saved the file.

I know most will/can not perform the extra work with the family tables for many reasons. Only sharing my experience. I was determined to minimize/eliminate as many issues as possible. Insuring the family tables migrated properly was a high priority. I have not had users come to me with family table issues related to the migration.

Our files included family tables, interchange groups and programmed parts, assemblies and drawings.

My first recommendation, two people I strongly suggest you contact, extremely knowledgeable in PTC migration and programming. I have personally worked with both individuals 15-20 years. They can provide the least painful direction/services based on your needs and resources available. If you are interested, contact me privately for their contact information. If you are lucky enough to contact them in the planning stages, even better!

Second, if you can purchase the migration tool, do so. I don't know what it is called or the difference in cost, but it will most definitely be worth the investment. (Not related to the family table question, but will definitely save you much time and frustration!)

If you do a manual migration:

Files must be exported/imported in a specific order.

1. All Parts

2. All Assemblies

3. All Drawings

With a manual migration, ghost items MUST be addressed before they can be checked in to PDME. (It is my understanding this is where the migration tool shines. Definitely ask this question. I have no experience with the migration tool or what/to what extent it addresses this issue.) This is where I spent the majority of my time during the migration (resolving ghost items so the imported files could be checked into Windchill).

Things that will affect the amount of time you spend addressing ghost objects:

1. How many files are imported into a workspace at one time. (Let me know if you want elaboration.)

2. Experience of person performing the migration (Windchill and Creo)

3. Number of relationships for each imported file

I was not involved from the beginning planning stages of our migration, so I did not get the opportunity to employ some resources, ask the user community, etc that might have helped with our migration process. I have been deeply immersed in it since the actual file migration started. While definitely still a Windchill newbie, I continue to absorb and learn as much as I can at every opportunity. Hope some of this information is helpful!

Best of luck!

Top Tags