cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Filename and Number syncronisation

khimani_mohiki
14-Alexandrite

Filename and Number syncronisation

Hello all, I have a tricky one, we (our customer) needs to find a way to do the following:

1. Save as copy From Creo (filename generated in creo dialogue)
  2. Edit filename in Creo save-as dialogue
  3. Assign sequence generated number on upload, retain edited filename

In this scenario we (our customer) is working "filename centric", so the filename is very important, the number has no significance other than uniqueness.

What happeneing at the moment:

1. Save as copy From Creo (filename generated in creo dialogue)
  2. Edit filename in Creo save-as dialogue
  3. Upload or checkin and upload, Number is set to the new filename, generated number is disgarded.

From what I can see, when auto-numbering from Creo is enabled, the File New or Save-as actions will pull a number from the sequence and assign it to the filename of the Creo file in client side workspace, then upon upload the filename is mapped to the Number, so when we (our customer) is editing the filename before upload it will always be inherited as the Number.

Is there some way in the OIR or other methods to force the number to be assigned from the sequence on upload or checkin instead of taking the value from filename?

Apparently this way all working before an upgrade a couple of years ago, no document exist explaining how it was working though.

Any help appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

Khimani, hi

Is the preference below set to No?

Synchronize CAD File Name with CAD Document Number
No

I'm not sure if this preference is a two-way street or not but if it is having it set to Yes might create the behavior you're seeing.

David

khimani_mohiki
14-Alexandrite
(To:d_graham)

Hi David, I have tried that preference but it doesnt make any difference, I think that preference changes the default behaviour of the checkbox when creating a new CAD document in workspace. Thanks though.

Khimani,

This should be able to be done with a custom OIR algorithm.

Have you tried going down that road yet?

David

Hello @d_graham ,

In my opinion custom OIR algorithm does not help, because the number OIR rule is not checked during upload in a workspace. 

If so, the OIR constraint would have work. (GetServerAssignedConstraint, GetImmutableConstraint)

In a workspace there is different behavior then a user would expect.

Workaround is that a user change the number manually by rename function in the workspace.

Use set new name and sets autogenerate number.

Then new autogenerated number is generated and placed to a number parameter.

HelesicPetr_1-1641980004923.png

HelesicPetr_2-1641980018375.png

HelesicPetr_3-1641980038644.png

Best Regards

PetrH

Hanks for your input, yes that workaround gets the right end result, I guess it could be used for an assembly also. I would turn off auto-numbering from Creo so the filename must be entered when performing Creo save-as and also to not waste lots of numbers in the sequence.
I will propose it and see what the response is.

Yes you right @khimani_mohiki ..

That preference just check/uncheck the checkbox in the creation wizard as default.

HelesicPetr_0-1641978768083.png

PetrH

Top Tags