cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Folder Location - Set as default

Amirtharaj_K
15-Moonstone

Folder Location - Set as default

Hi Guys,

I am using multi CAD software example inventor, creo and solidworks, i am looking for once i create a Inventor 3D model it's stored particular folder and same like for other software's. How we can do it in Windchill.

Regards,

Aj

8 REPLIES 8
Fadel
22-Sapphire I
(To:Amirtharaj_K)

For widnchill , ones checked in they are all EPMdocs, to achieve your request , you need to edit the OIR as per https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS21487 

Fede

Hi Aj,

Interesting question 

Windchill OOTB only possible at based on OIR object type (WT & CAD subtypes) you can change the default and specific folders location algorithm not for cad application wise

may be you can post this requirement ptc community  add tags windchilll customization

Thanks & Regard

Sarathkumar M

Sarathkumar M

In the workspace preferences, there are options to specify default folders. Assumingly, you would be operating in different workspaces for the difference CAD application types. This only applies for initial creation. Reading docs here: https://support.ptc.com/help/wnc/r12.0.2.0/en/#page/Windchill_Help_Center%2FCADxWspActionsMenuWspGenOptionSet.html%23wwID0EIILM

The OIR mentioned by @Fadel by default cannot differentiate between different CAD authoring applications but I would not remove hope that an if/then rule could be added to differ based on that attribute. It certainly would be more complex. I would also consider periodic sweeps and movements to keep system clean administratively. Users have the ability to overwrite anything you put in place.

Thanks for the replies guys,   @Fadel @Sarathkumar_M @avillanueva 

WT part means we can do it us you said Fadel, But if it's CAD data such as Creo, Solidworks, NX, Catia and AutoCAD mean how we can set a default folder for that.

Sarath thanks for the update.

Avil, yeah as you said we can do it in workspace preferences, but we can set it on one machine only right? How can we apply the same thing to all the machines like Visualization Services Administration?

Regards,

AJ

Dobi
14-Alexandrite

Your non-Creo data needs to have the "UPLOAD_SOFT_TYPE" variable set. You set it by CAD application in Preferences. (CS41665 )

Dobi_0-1712081373967.png

You can then create individual EPMDocument sub-types to match your authoring applications (instructions here). 

In my example, I did this for NX. 

Dobi_1-1712081430754.png

Once you have those, you create OIRs against those subtypes specifically with the OIR syntax: 

• <AttributeValues objType="wt.epm.EPMDocument|<your subtype name here>">

And in the OIRs you can then specify the folder like @mfadil suggested (CS21487).

Amirtharaj_K
15-Moonstone
(To:Dobi)

Apologize for the delayed in reponse @Dobi 

I want more details which you shared - OIR Example.

Regards,

AJ

Dobi
14-Alexandrite

CS21487 goes over this in good detail for the OIR. 

If you create a soft-type for, say, NX and have a folder in Commonspace for NX, the OIR would look something like this - including just the folder tags. Your NX folder has to exist and your softtype name needs to match whatever the internal name you used in the set up in type attributes. 

<AttributeValues objType="wt.epm.EPMDocument|com.someCompany.www.NXSoftType">

<AttrValue id="folder.id"
    algorithm="com.ptc.core.foundation.folder.server.impl.FolderPathAttributeAlgorithm"
    ignore="false"
    force="false"
    final="false">
    <Arg>/Default/NX</Arg>
  </AttrValue>

<AttrConstraint id="folder.id" algorithm="com.ptc.core.rule.server.impl.GatherAttributeConstraints">
	<Value algorithm="com.ptc.core.rule.server.impl.GetServerPreGeneratedValue"/>
	<Value algorithm="com.ptc.core.rule.server.impl.GetRendererConstraint">
		<Arg>SelectGeneratedFolderByDefault</Arg>
	</Value>	
</AttrConstraint>	  

</AttributeValues>

Hello @Amirtharaj_K

It looks like you have some responses from some community members. If any of these replies helped you solve your question please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution. 

Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please let the Community know so other community members can continue to help you.

Thanks,
Community Moderation Team.

Top Tags