cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Folder Rollover

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Folder Rollover

I have a Windchill system that has been around for 15 years, started at Windchill 8 with upgrades to 9, 9.1, 10 and 11. When I did my test run to upgrade the data to Windchill 12.0.2, I found a line in the log file saying I should enable Automatic Folder Rollover. 

I have that enabled on my other Windchill system (Windchill 11.0 upgraded to 11.1) but that system also uses a single vault with folders under it.

The older system was setup with 6 vaults each with folders under them. I would like to enable automatic rollover on the folders for this system.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is needed?

Do I need a single vault for this to work or can it work with multiple vaults?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:BenLoosli)

I am going to be doing this very step soon. From what my expert @ShawnLothrop has told me, the process involves creating a new vault that is where you want it to move to with a single folder. There is a setting to force all content to the vault. From there its changing the vaulting rules to have all content go to that new vault. The system from there using a revaulting process should take care of all the movements of content to the new vault. Once done, if there is no remaining content in the old vaults, the system will let you remove it but he also mentioned there can be done crud in the DB saying that there is still content when there really is none. That would need to be addressed before the old vaults can be removed.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

I am going to be doing this very step soon. From what my expert @ShawnLothrop has told me, the process involves creating a new vault that is where you want it to move to with a single folder. There is a setting to force all content to the vault. From there its changing the vaulting rules to have all content go to that new vault. The system from there using a revaulting process should take care of all the movements of content to the new vault. Once done, if there is no remaining content in the old vaults, the system will let you remove it but he also mentioned there can be done crud in the DB saying that there is still content when there really is none. That would need to be addressed before the old vaults can be removed.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:avillanueva)

I have just under 3 million files in my vaults. Revaulting may take a while.

I think I will wait until I get Windchill 12 into production, then experiment with the Windchill 11.0 system (or maybe do a rehost on the Windchill 12 system) and do the revaulting there to test it.

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Which ever way you look at it, expect it to double your vault storage while it processes. We have our current vaults on a volume that I want to shift to a new volume and eventually dispose of the old volume.  It makes sense to have Windchill do it since the folders will all change as it creates them on demand. When one fills up, it will create a new one.  

Top Tags