cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Handling customizations in upgrade from 9.1 to 10.2

MikeFoster
2-Guest

Handling customizations in upgrade from 9.1 to 10.2

All,

I have a couple of questions on handling customizations in our test upgrade from Intralink 9.1 M060 to 10.2 M030.

1. Is our filebased versioning a customization that has to be reloaded on the target server? We originally loaded this on the source with: java wt.series.LoadFileBasedSeries.
  2. Are Object Initialization Rules (OIR's) customizations that need to be created on the target server? We originally created OIR's on the source from .xml files.

The upgrade guide says the following about filebased series:

"If your source system has file-based series, then you need to verify that the file-based series on the target system is in sync with the source system’s filebased series. Ensure that the versioning scheme is set up in wt.properties on the target system exactly like it is on the source system."

How would I verify that the "file-based series on the target system is in sync with the source system’s filebased series"?

Which properties in wt.properties am I looking for to "Ensure that the versioning scheme is set up in wt.properties on the target system exactly like it is on the source system."?

The upgrade guide also mentions OIR's with this statement:

"Verify that there are object initialization rules (OIRs) for every versioned object type in the system and that they are using a valid series (defined in wt.properties or a file-based series). Ensure that the wt.properties has the same series configuration as the source system."

How would I verify this? When the upgrade guide says "verify" does in really mean "create"?

In general I don't have a clear understanding of what Windchill configurations and settings have to be manually performed on the target server versus which ones come in with the imported database.

Thanks,

Mike Foster

Orbital ATK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I finally finished testing the upgrades and it turns out that our filebased versioning does not have to be reloaded and OIR's do not have to be recreated on the upgrade target server.

Thanks, Mike

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

It does take quite a bit of careful analysis to determine which things need to be done on the file system of the target before upgrading and which come with the database export. The file based series in fact does need to be established on the target system before upgrade, including any related properties. All OIR's are part of the database export / import. The LoadFromFile commands for series allow both -load and -read.  It may be a bit confusing as documented but -read requires a filename and the result is that the system creates that file and dumps into it the current series, allowing verification. On the target system, you should create and revise sample data to verify that your series is working.  In order to do this you have to temporarily apply OIR(s) to use the series.  Any OIR's will be overwritten with the upgrade but the series won't.

When we originally installed I used the following command to put in a versioning series that would match our migrated Ilink 3.4 configuration:

java wt.series.LoadFileBasedSeries "C:\ptc\Windchill_9.1\Windchill\loadFiles\pdmlink\atk-versioning.xml" -load

Would I run this on the target now?

Yep.  Recommend: - Run command using -read and a filename something like as_installed.xml - Run command to load - Run command using -read and a filename something like atk_as_loaded.xml

Hi Mike,

Maybe if I explain more carefully exactly how I originally installed on the source you could help me understand what steps are needed for the target (Still confused by the -read command).

Starting with OOTB I copied a file called atk-Versioning.xml into the folder C:\ptc\Windchill_9.1\Windchill\loadFiles\pdmlink\

The contents of this file were identical to the existing OOTB file in that directory called StateBasedVersioning.xml except that our custom series was inserted above the series named "StateBased" as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>   
<scheme>
<series name="atk-Standard">
<value>X0</value>
<value>X1</value>
<value>X2</value>
<value>AV</value>
<value>AW</value>
<value>AY</value>
</series>
<series name="StateBased">
<seed name="NUMERIC">
<value>1</value>
<value>2</value>
<value>3</value>

I then ran the command: java wt.series.LoadFileBasedSeries "C:\ptc\Windchill_9.1\Windchill\loadFiles\pdmlink\atk-versioning.xml" -load

And that was it. In the epm doc OIR that I created later I put in the name "atk-Standard".

Thanks,
Mike

Yes, exactly that on the target. Normally after making some change, you would simply look at the result to confirm that it got done as intended.  But - There is no easy way to look at what has been loaded in the database. Running the command using -read is the mechanism provided for the system to pull what is in the database into a new file, just for the purpose of examining what in fact was loaded. I always recommend to examine what is there to start with (and preserve it), then load the change, then confirm the result.  This way you end up with two files as the result of -read and one file that you load.  The second file from -read should match the one loaded.

That makes sense but when you say "There is no easy way to look at what has been loaded in the database" I start wondering about the proper sequence. I had understood that customizations should be performed after installing 10.2 on the target but before importing the source database and running Upgrade Manager – Is that correct?

Or would I load the versioning after importing the source database and running Upgrade Manager?

Thanks again for all your help.

Mike

more... In terms of the related properties, if you use any OTB series, nothing needed - even if you use different characters in the series.  If you create a custom series, then a set of properties is needed; can essentially duplicate the OTB set for IntegerSeries for example.

Please refer the following and it explains the different entries in wt.properties and OIRs.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS148182

I finally finished testing the upgrades and it turns out that our filebased versioning does not have to be reloaded and OIR's do not have to be recreated on the upgrade target server.

Thanks, Mike

Top Tags