cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Has anyone had experiance with the Link Extract tool by Fishbowl?

bcooper
1-Newbie

Has anyone had experiance with the Link Extract tool by Fishbowl?

We are moving our Windchill PDM link data to PTC's cloud, but first I want/need to extract the data from the VM it is currently residing on. Our VAR recommended this tool but before I buy it I was hoping to get some feedback from other users.

thanks

6 REPLIES 6

We moved from a home grown file based system to PTC's Cloud back in 2006, so things may have changed since then.

I sure hope they have, because at the time the file extract and import tools from Fishbowl and others would not work with the cloud service.  All the importing of data had to be done by hand and took 7-12 engineers 10 days to do it.  This was a limitation on PTC's side, not the VAR.

Hopefully that situation has changed in the intervening years.

-marc

CAD / PLM Systems Manager

TriMark Corporation

bsindelar
6-Contributor
(To:bcooper)

What object types are you looking to extract?  What are the source and target WC versions?  Depending on the objects you are looking to migrate I may have some options for you.

The files are CRO2.0 M090 files and we are extracting them from our existing Windchill server PDMlink 10.1 M030. We want to put them out to a local drive and only move what we want to the PTC Cloud Server. We have a lot of files that we don't touch and don't want to pay for storage space we don't need.

A Followup on LinkExtract, once it was set-up the program worked very well, we moved a lot of files without a lot of issues. We copied all of our CAD data from a Sequel database on a virtual machine to a remote hard drive. Other than the set up which is primarily command line, the program ran without a hitch. I extracted the files over the weekend and we were able to move the files to the PTC Cloud the next week.

Out of curiosity, how did you get the files into the PTC Cloud?

After we extracted te files we logged into Windchill in the PTC cloud, created a workspace and used tools, import into workspace in the browser, once they were in the workspace we checked them in. Thats the simplified version, there was a lot of preliminary work before we started and some after we imported them but we moved 6000+ files in about 3 days. If anyone wants more details I can provide that as well.

Top Tags