cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

How to add a new menu item with link to url under global Help menu?

Prabhu
7-Bedrock

How to add a new menu item with link to url under global Help menu?

All,

Am not a strong developer yet, but your help in this would make me to take a step towards that.

What do I need to do if I want to add a new menu item with link to a url under the Global Help menu that appears at top right section of standard Windchill PDMLink header?

Out of the box installation the below items under Help pulldown menu:

Search All Help

Windchill Support Center

About Accessibility

<break line>

Contact Publications Team

I need to add an item just below "About Accessibility" on clicking which should open a new internet window launching the url.

Have been digging around utilResource.rbInfo and all, but still couldn't get to an understanding on the complete framework to do this requirement.

Thanks,

Prabhakaran V.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Prabhu
7-Bedrock
(To:BenPerry)

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the document you had mentioned.

I had taken a different approach for this case and had created a link in the main Windchill Ribbon header. I had documented the steps in http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-3369.

Now, that we are in 10.2, we would not pursue to do this in 9.1 system.

Thanks again,

Prabhakaran V.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:Prabhu)

Hi,

I'm not the expert on this one, but I did get this answer from the PTC Technical Publications team for another customer last month. Thought it would be a good idea to share

Custom Help Center Topics

The PTC Tech Pubs team created an Add Topics application for 10.1 M020 that allows customers to add links from the Help Center table of contents to files maintained on a local server. The utility is documented in the Windchill Customization Guide in the Customizing Online Help section.

Adding Content using the Add Topics Utility

If you do not have Arbortext, you can add topics to the Windchill Center using a standalone utility. The Add Topics utility is a simple utility that can add content to the Windchill Help Center table of contents. Your additional content is added to the bottom of the Windchill Help Center TOC. The content that you add will not be searchable.

Downloading the Utility

Download the utility from the following location : http://www.ptc.com/view?im_dbkey=141479

The download includes the Add Topics utility and a copy of these instructions. The download file may contain an updated version of the instructions.

Extract the contents of the <FILENAME>.zip file to the following location on your Windchill server: <WT_HOME>\Windchill\WHC\

Prabhu
7-Bedrock
(To:sm)

Hi Scott,

Thanks a lot for your response. Let me try to work out as per the utility and will get back.

Thanks,

Prabhakaran V.

Harshal
1-Newbie
(To:sm)

Hi Scott,

Is this utility in working state now for X-24? Does the HTML created need to be adhered with WHC Stylesheet?

I have tried it on X-24 but it say

Page Not Found

The page you were trying to access does not exist.
The page you were requesting: /Windchill-WHC/WHC/setOraClient10203AIX.htm

~Harshal

Hi Prabhakaran,

I think what you're looking for is the following. I added a "XYZ" in the Help Menu. Also, it includes changes if you're using a German Language pack.

Addition of XYZ to the Help Menu

1. Add the following entry in the navigationRB.java and navigationRB_de.java file (after ‘Quick Start Guide’ and ‘Quickstart-Handbuch’ sections respectively) under <ptc>\Windchill10\Windchill\src\com\ptc\core\ui.

@RBEntry("XYZ")

public static final String XYZ = "help.xyz.description";

2. Compile the Java files using the following command from Windchill shell (navigate to the location):

javac -encoding UTF8 navigationRB.java

javac -encoding UTF8 navigationRB_de.java

3.Copy\Move the respective class files to <ptc>\Windchill10\Windchill\codebase\com\ptc\core\ui.

4. Modify the navigation-actionModels.xml file (under <ptc>\Windchill10\Windchill\codebase\config\actions) to add <action name="xyz" type="help"/> in the <model name="help" resourceBundle="com.ptc.core.ui.navigationRB"> section. This defines the order as well as the display in the menu.

5. Modify the navigation-actions.xml file (under <ptc>\Windchill10\Windchill\codebase\config\actions) to add

<action name="xyz" >

<command url="http://www.example.com/MyHome.aspx" windowType="new"/>

</action>

after “quickstart” section to enter the URL of the link.

6. Stop Windchill.

7. Clear tomcat cache.

8. Restart Windchill and verify changes.

BenPerry
13-Aquamarine
(To:Prabhu)

Prabhakaran,

Does Wasim's response answer the question you had regarding this?

I also posted a document yesterday with some helpful source code and examples.

http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-6309

Prabhu
7-Bedrock
(To:BenPerry)

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the document you had mentioned.

I had taken a different approach for this case and had created a link in the main Windchill Ribbon header. I had documented the steps in http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-3369.

Now, that we are in 10.2, we would not pursue to do this in 9.1 system.

Thanks again,

Prabhakaran V.

Top Tags