cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How to attach a document to a part or assembly

dconnor
1-Newbie

How to attach a document to a part or assembly

Hi All

please can you give me some advice on best practice for attaching a document (*.pdf, *.doc ect) to a model or drawing

in Windchill PDMLink 9.0 m040

many thanks

David

7 REPLIES 7
tbusch
1-Newbie
(To:dconnor)

Well, I've done this using the attached webject task. I think, though, that the "Add-Urlcontent"

I remember that we had to enable the Add-Urlcontent webject by adding this to our site.xconf:
<property name="ADDURLCONTENT.WCTYPE|java.lang.Object" overridable="true" targetfile="codebase/wt.adapter.delegates.properties" value="ext.adapter.content.AddUrlContent"/">

Hope this helps. BTW there's no way to SEE the attachments through the interface, but you can get info on them using the getContentInfo.xml task which I've also attached. In particular, check out the "urlLocation" attribute.

-Thomas R. Busch
Sr. Software Developer
Stryker Instruments
(269) 323-7700 x4014
tom.busch@stryker.com<">mailto:tom.busch@stryker.com>
kpritchard
4-Participant

Why not use Parts (WTParts)?

The pdf/doc/xls fileis loaded as primary content in a Document (WTDocument) which can be associated to the Part. The CAD may also associated to the Part. The result is a Part - Document structure which is visible in the interface that can be expanded through a multilevel part structure representing an assembly.

The relationship between the CAD and the Document is through co-association to the Part. This idea was the biggest change in thinking forus in moving from Intralink (3.x & 8.0) to PDMLink

I agree with Keir. It took me awhile to convince my colleague's for the advantages of the extra object 'WTpart'. Step by step, the WTpart gained its place in ourinformation management. Nowadays, WTparts are there to stay as clothhook for all kind of extra information as PDF's, Excels, etc.
Hugo.
<< ProE WF3 M190 - PDMLink 8.00 M040 >>

bkurth
7-Bedrock

David,

We use the Notebook function. When you are on your part or assembly page, Click General >> Notebook. There will be an option to Upload File or Create a Link. You can also create a folder for the file(s), if you like. Once you upload the file, whenever you go into the part, you will be able to open Notebook and see the file. I have attached a screen capture of the Notebook area.

We have had a glitch with rights, that if the file has been promoted, the general user cannot add a file to the Notebook section, so if you do not have the icon to upload or link, you might want to talk to your administrator. If nothing else, they can do the link or upload the file.

Hope this helps...Brian

In Reply to David Connor:

Hi All

please can you give me some advice on best practice for attaching a document (*.pdf, *.doc ect) to a model or drawing

in Windchill PDMLink 9.0 m040

many thanks

David

You can add attachements to CAD Objects by checking them out to a Workspace, go to the property page of the object with in the Workspace and then you will find "Edit Attachements" in the action list. However I would also suggest to take into consideration to create a Windchill Part as ithasbeenmentioned already by other people

Regards

Klaus

cc-2
6-Contributor

Hello

I believe that the way the different data are linked together only depends on how we want to manage and control them.

An attachment cannot be iterated, version controlled, searchable, reuse etc.. It is a very static piece of information which only relevant to the Document (EPM or WT) it is attached to. When the document is released the attached content must be correct that all.

It is also difficult for other users to know if there is an attachment. There is no provision in the folder view for instance unlike discussion.

An example would be a jpg used by the designer to create his model.

However, if the file which is supposed to be attached , is actually a reference document, ie it is related but it must/can be controlled, managed (life cycle state), revised, have soft attributes etc.. then a document must be created and the file will be uploaded in that document. That document will then be used in a WTpart, if it is part of the WTPart definition. Between WTdocument, it is possible to create a document structure or to create references between the WTdocument.

They are different ways to "linked" information. It all depends on what we want to do with it. The bottom line is that whatever is decided in your organisation, all users should follow the same process. Other you will never be able to find the data or understand them (a reference document does not mean the same thing than an attached document for instance)

athomasen
5-Regular Member

1. Check out the CAD file to a workspace

2. Work in the workspace for this

3. Select the Actions button and the Edit Attachments action

4. Click the green PLUS{+) sign

5. In the add attachment window, use one of these methods for attaching the file:

a. Type in the full path name of the file

b. Browse to the path of the PDF file

c. Drag the PDF file to the drop box

6. Select Image as the Type of file

7. Press OK

8. Press Close

9. Check the file back in to the Windchill common space with its new iteration

Top Tags