cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

How to change the sub-type of a part? (2024)

Mȁrk
9-Granite

How to change the sub-type of a part? (2024)

Dear fellow Windchill colleagues,

Regarding sub-types of WT.part and how to change a existing part from one sub-type to another, i can find some =/-10 year old posts on how to do that using SQL or command line scripting.

But whats the status on it on 2024? Is it now somehow possible via, the interface or maybe the REST-API?

Mrk_0-1718365990519.png

Some context regarding our story:

We would love to use multiple sub-types, but we are currently are avoiding it like the plague, because it seems it's not easily changeable in the Windchill interface.

The reason we would like to change them is to make it easier to implement them. We come from a 'CAD centric' way-of-work and currently don't have any data that would define in which sub-type a certain part should be (e.g. Mechanical/Electrical/Manufacturer). When starting with WT-Parts, we can create a WT-part for each CAD file, but then directly have to choose a CORRECT Sub-type. That information we would like to get over the next couple months or years, while we work with WT-Parts. But currently that doesn't seem possible. So we feel forced to either;

• Or only use 1 sub-type. (And use some classification structure as alternative?!)
  • Or wait with using WT-Parts until we figured out all the correct sub-types for our legacy data.

Although in theory the second option might be the correct one. It would slow us down and give a lot more negatives then positives.

So instead we tent to use a classification structure 'Sub-type' to get more or less the same results, like adding attributes based on a type, filtering, etc.

Would love to hear some insights on this topic and whats possible or advised currently.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I
(To:Mȁrk)

Hi @Mȁrk 

No there is not such UI that can change the sybtype on daily bases. 

The types are not designed to be changed on daily work 

PS: you can create own custom function that can do the job for you.

PetrH

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I

Hi @Mȁrk 

No there is not such UI that can change the sybtype on daily bases. 

The types are not designed to be changed on daily work 

PS: you can create own custom function that can do the job for you.

PetrH

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I

Hi @Mȁrk 

I'm just curious 

Why do you want to use subtypes for that type as Mechanical/Manufacturer? Different set of attributes? or just different icons?

PetrH

Hey @HelesicPetr,

Thanks for replying!

Why do you want to use sub-types for that type as Mechanical/Manufacturer? Different set of attributes? or just different icons?

We are considering sub-types for multiple reasons. The example 'Mechanical/Electrical/Manufacturer' was maybe not really a good one. To me it  looks now that; sub-parts are classification with more features.

Currently we are using WTparts with just 1 single type and so far this has filled our needs. It simple and does the job. This question is part of a exploration to find out if we should reconsider that decision.

So we are mainly trying to figure out what sense sub-types make make in context of;

• Different set of attributes - This can also be realized with (multiple) classification structures so why choose one over the other?
  • Icons! -As far as we know it's the most resource friendly way to use different icons. Other attribute based ways, we have found seem less preferable.
  • Layouts (Create, edit, info, etc).
  • Cascading Attributes - This functionality seems not possible on attributes inherited via classification structures.
  • Ownerschip - We have multiple different software/design tools with integrations for Windchill, which all could create/edit parts.

Sub-types seem to give in some spots a bit of extra functionality to make it more user friendly. We like windchill a lot for how much flexibility it give, but on sub-types it feels very stiff and as you say "Not designed to be changed on daily work". We try to avoid solutions where things are set in stone or are to dependent on (external) experts to solve it.

If we made a mistake and need to split up a sub-type next year, or we have created a series of parts in the wrong sub-type, we feel like this should be fixable by the users in the interface and not some SQL expert.

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I

Hi @Mȁrk 

Actually you can change the subtype by API but 😄 you can find some consequences I did not find any for this moment excepts ACL definition 😄 

PetrH

Top Tags