cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How to resolve duplicate names/files between ProjectLink and PDM

Dobrisa
13-Aquamarine

How to resolve duplicate names/files between ProjectLink and PDM

We have several suppliers we work collaboratively with via ProjectLink and for the most part things work well... except when there are duplicate names/files to work with. 

Specifically, let's say a supplier uses a McMaster screw with part number 12345a123 and adds it to a project as a new file. This file is part of an assembly that I want to send back to PDM. But in my PDM I already have 12345a123 - the same file and name as what the supplier had put in. 

What is the recommended method for updating the project file with the file from our PDM? Is there one? Simply trying to add the existing PDM file to the Project doesn't work (tried this first) and I'm uninterested in adding duplicates with versions of the same name (12345a123_) back into our PDM so renaming the offending file in Project is likely the last resort. 

I've seen several posts on this topic but none with a recommended (or in some instances functional) solution. How do others get around this? 

5 REPLIES 5
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Dobrisa)

Bring the assembly and all components except the duplicate(s) into PDM, then load the assembly in Creo. Creo should find your original duplicate part numbers and load them. The problem will be if the parts use a different orientation/mating scheme and you may have to reposition the parts.

Dobrisa
13-Aquamarine
(To:BenLoosli)

I can't check the assembly into PDM without the related dependent... in this case, the part I want to replace. How do you get around that? 

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Bring the ProjectLink assembly into a session of Creo and then replace the components with the ones in PDMlink before saving in PDMLink. It may be a long process, depending on how many assemblies you have, but it will prevent duplicate parts.

Next time you work with a contractor, put the common components into ProjectLink first so they are using the same components. When you bring everything back in, it should come in with no duplicate errors.

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Super interested in the general solution is one is provided - please post.

Note: We have both Creo Parametric and Solidworks.

General solution can't be to open in CAD every time (as suggested below); PTC must have a general process that can be followed on this.

thanks

Dobrisa
13-Aquamarine

Just revisiting this as it keeps coming up. 

There exists a "Resolve Identity Conflicts" option within the Project context but it seems as though it's functionality is basic (Resolving Identity Conflicts ). 

Dobrisa_0-1618412422693.png

I'm curious if anything has changed or if there are plans to make updates to this feature. 

Either file name conflicts should be checked at the site level (across all contexts) by default or this "Resolve Identity Conflicts" function needs to cover something other than a stand-alone Creo part. 

Top Tags