cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

IBA String in Change Request

PreetiGupta
14-Alexandrite

IBA String in Change Request

We have defined IBA attributes for the Change Request object in Windchill. For example "Justification", this String IBA cannot take more than 500 character. If I remove the single line constraints, the user can write more than 500 char.
[cid:image001.png@01CC76B3.43729CB0]
But then the order of the text totally messes up. PTC tech support says that this is a known issue, but no resolution yet.

Tech support also suggested that we can increase the column length at the database level, but that also has max limit. Has anybody done this?

How do you handle such situation? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Preeti
5 REPLIES 5

We have an expression robot that checks the length of the value if the variable. If less than 500, continue the workflow. If less than 500, send notification to the person who entered the value and reassign the task.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 19, 2011, at 1:04 PM, "Gupta,Preeti,IRVINE,R&D" <preeti.gupta@alconlabs.com> wrote:

> We have defined IBA attributes for the Change Request object in Windchill. For example "Justification", this String IBA cannot take more than 500 character. If I remove the single line constraints, the user can write more than 500 char.
>
> <image001.png>
>
> But then the order of the text totally messes up. PTC tech support says that this is a known issue, but no resolution yet.
>
>
>
> Tech support also suggested that we can increase the column length at the database level, but that also has max limit. Has anybody done this?
>
>
>
> How do you handle such situation? Any suggestions?
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Preeti
>
>
> This e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not an intended recipient or an authorized representative of an intended recipient, you are prohibited from using, copying or distributing the information in this e-mail or its attachments. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies of this message and any attachments.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Attachment Links: image001.png (5 k)
> Site Links: View post online View mailing list online Send new post via email Unsubscribe from this mailing list Manage your subscription
>
> Use of this email content is governed by the terms of service at:
>
avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:PreetiGupta)

Hey Preeti, how many characters do you want it limited to? Are the
users writing novels? Would an attachment be better suited for
justifications longer then 500 characters? Something to consider. So
to be clear, you would see multiple justification IBA pairs in the
system against the Change Request. When displaying, it is not possible
to sort them so chapter 1 comes before chapter 2 and so on. Have you
looked into the IBA timestamps? Any correlation between the different
ones that can be used to sort? You must also consider editing too.
What happens when a user wants to change the text? Say they have three
instances 1:498 chars, 2: 490 chars, 3:100 chars. They cut 200 chars
from the middle. This would mean deleting 3 and reducing 2 to 398 chars.
How is that handled in the UI.

A different solution might be a custom UI that allows unlimited entry
but writes to as many IBA's as it needs? Upon edit, merges them back
together again. Just a thought.

You need to license Information Modeler to change the length of the StringValue. Otherwise you are stuck at 500. Tech Support may neglect to mention this.

By removing the single value constraint, it does actually create an additional row entry for that object in String Value table. The order of these is likely due to them allowing this feature in the 9.x UI but not designing it specifically for overflowing comments.

You could use a javascript hack to mark the adjoining characters or fields? Limit user to 499 characters. The issue with them appearing out of order for "Justification" is on the create page, edit page, when viewed, on a table column? All of the above?

Your other option is javascript to store the text into a non persisted or non modeled table and retrieve as such on display.

Information Modeler is cheaper in long run for TCO...

- David

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
PreetiGupta
14-Alexandrite
(To:PreetiGupta)

Having that "+" for adding extra justification does not do good as they do not sort correctly. We do have best practice where we ask users to attach instead of using attributes. But the approvers do not like it. I just wonder what is the use case of this PTC functionality.

I have attached the script, please change it as needed and use

Please contact me if your not able to understand.

pro.properties should have enteries like below.

DriverIBA=DepIBA1,DepIBA2,........

DeriverIBA will store the values of DepIBA's the order they enter and will restore the sequence in the Edit as well.

Top Tags