cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Including Part Classification Attributes into Advanced Search

elyons
1-Newbie

Including Part Classification Attributes into Advanced Search

Does anyone know if it is possible to include Attributes that are defined on a Classification Node via PartsLink into the available attributes for Advanced Search?

We have a need to Classify Parts in the system. A given Part would get associated to a Classification Node and then have values set on attributes defined on that NODE.

The desire would be to use ADVANCED SEARCH to be able to find a specific type of Part that is associated to a specific classification node and be able to search for a combination of attributes that have been defined to that part type as well as the attributes that have been defined for the classification that the part is a member of.

As a second part of this, I would also like to know if there is a way to introduce other Search Operators such as GREATER THAN, LESS THAN, BETWEEN etc... Currently I believe it is only possible to do an EQUAL, NOT EQUAL or CONTAINS type search.

If it is possible to do this, is it a supported configuration at PTC?

Thanks in Advance

Ed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jsweeney
5-Regular Member
(To:elyons)

Ed,

The ability to have classification attributes included within the advance search criteria is planned for the next release of Windchill.

As for the different operators, these are available depending on the attribute type. See image below.

Jim

criteria.gif

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Edmund,

what you are asking for is the standard behaviour of PartsLink.

Once installed and configured you have a special search, called classification search.

From there you can drill down classification nodes or use search operators.

See attached pictures.

MarcoClassification_1.PNGClassification_2.PNG

Marco

Thanks Marco

I realize that installation of Parts Link will expose the Classification Search option but what I am looking for is the ability to merge the attributes defined on a Classification Node with the other attributes that would be available for a specific SOFT TYPE of object that is referencing that Classification NODE.

I have to say that we have done this in our existing WC 9.1 environment...

We are upgrading to WC 10.2 in the next month and I am wondering if this is a supported configuration by PTC. I was hoping to get feed back that way from the WC community as well as a PTC Product Manager.

Obviously I could open an INFO ticket on this with PTC but wanted to try this avenue first

Ed

jsweeney
5-Regular Member

Ed,

The ability to have classification attributes included within the advance search criteria is planned for the next release of Windchill.

As for the different operators, these are available depending on the attribute type. See image below.

Jim

criteria.gif

Thanks Jim for the information. Can you save me the time and indicate when the next release is tentatively planned? That way I know whether we need to look at implementing something in 10.2 since we have to have this capability before the end of 2015...

jsweeney
5-Regular Member

Ed,

According to the PTC product calendar - http://support.ptc.com/cs/product_calendar/PTC_Product_Calendar.htm#RANGE!A874

The next release is planned for Q3 2015. This is of course, subject to change.

Jim

Top Tags