cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Inconsistent Pi factors

ugöreke
1-Newbie

Inconsistent Pi factors

Hi, I'm using WQS 11.0 M010 to estimate reliability of a mecahnical design. With mechanical license I'm able to enter part parameters and get failure rate for each.

But under torsion spring part, I noticed an abnormal pi factor (CL in this case) for spring displacement. It is 13500. I checked the displacement theoretically and it's OK. Actually its one third of static limit.

Then I calculated the associated CL by using NSWC - Handbook of Reliability Prediction Procedures for Mechanical Equipment Figre 4.13. It came out as 0.072!

I'm using degrees for displacement as stated in the reference guide of the software.

Then I checked all of the pi factors of mechanical parts using the same document. I found the same inconsistency for 4 other factors. These are; Cdc & CL for torsion spring, Ct for solenoid, Ccw & Cr for ball bearing.

How can it be possible? I can only imagine unit mistake, but I checked it wrt to reference guide.

Also if anyone can check these pi factors whether they are calculated normally or not?

You can find the related screenshot for torsion spring.

Thanks

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags