cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Intralink 9.1 - How to login as different user?

ScottPearson
3-Visitor

Intralink 9.1 - How to login as different user?

In Intralink 3.4, to log out from one's current User account and then log in as a different User, it was easy: just do a "ReLogin" from the Intralink pulldown menu in either the Commonspace or Workspacewindow.

In Intralink 9.1, I don't see such a cut and dried menu choice for logging in as as different User.

Even if I exit Internet Explorer..., then relaunch Internet Explorer..., then return to my Intralink 9.1 URL..., sometimes I am presented with a Login dialog box but more frequently I am instantly logged in under the previous User account login. Same thing even if I open a second Internet Explorer window.

FYI: I have need to do this because for my daily design work I loginunder anormal User account, but when I need to do adminstrative tasks in Intralink then I login under a different User account with Adminstrator privileges.

Does anyone have a tried and true method of logging into Intralink 9.1 as a different User?

TIA!

8 REPLIES 8

Try adding -noframemerging to the short cut that starts IE.

[cid:image001.jpg@01CC6D6C.C68AEA30]

David Haigh

Thanks to all those who replied. PCT/User to the rescue yet again!

Of the solutions offered I have tried thus far, here is the worked-every-time remedy from MF at ATK:

"In Internet Explorer go to File>New Session"

Each time I took that approach, I was presented with a fresh Intralink 9.1 login dialog box in which I could login as a different user. Lovely!

My thanks and a tip o' the that to MF at ATK!

I use this on my computer as well… it is easier than fileènew session.

When I am at a user’s computer and need to login as admin, I will use fileènew session

One thing I have done is use IE for my daily chores and Firefox for the admin chores.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

Generally speaking, Ben's methodology is preferred if alternate browsers are supported by IT. The inherent advantage is that it is much easier to remember who you are logged in as, particularly in R9.1 where the user's name is only presented on the home screen (ootb, anyway).

Many companies limit the browser to Internet Explorer. If you are stuck with IE there are a few things you can do to work around login issues.
<h3>Disable Windows Automatic Login for Initial Browser Window</h3>
Open Internet Explorer, go to Tools > Internet Options, go to the Content Tab, click the Auto Complete button, remove the check for Webaddress, Forms and Usernames and Password and click Ok.
If you want to delete the stored user names and passwords click the buttons clear forms and clear passwords.
<h3>Disable Windows Automatic Login for Additional Browser Windows</h3>
Internet Explorer 7/8 remembers logins between browser windows. Thus to log in as a different user you must close all open browser windows. This is caused by intentional functionality called “Frame Merging”. There are three ways to disable this behavior and allow login to each browser window independently.

Registry key

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FrameMerging
0 - disable frame merging

Command-line (i.e. shortcut)switch

If the application is being launched via a desktop shortcut, the command line switch “-noframemerging” could be added to that to get the desired effect.

Menu item

From the current Internet Explorer window, select: File > New Session

<h3>Display Username in Browser Title Bar</h3>
There is a simple (Windchill 9.1 and earlier) customization to name the browser windows according to the logged in user.Add the followingto %WT_HOME%\codebase\netmarkets\jsp\util\begin_custom.jspf
<%-- This script puts the logged in user name in the title bar of the browser. --%>
<script type="text/javascript">
var userLoggedOnTitleString = "<%=request.getRemoteUser()%>";
function updateTitleForUserLoggedOn() {
if (userLoggedOnTitleString != null && userLoggedOnTitleString != ") {
self.document.title = userLoggedOnTitleString + " - " + self.document.title;
self.document.textContent = userLoggedOnTitleString + " - " + self.document.textContent;
}
}
Event.observe(self, 'load', updateTitleForUserLoggedOn);
</script>
Save the file, clear Tomcat's cache, and restart Windchill.
Now the user name will appera in the title bar of each browser window. This is really handy when there aremultiple browser windows and they are minimized to the task bar. I haven't tried this with 10.0 yet.

Kind Regards,
Matt Meadows
Solutions Architect
VIRSO Inc
O: 618 937 8115
C: 314 749 8377
E: mmeadows@virsoinc.com

I finally had time to edit the shortcut that launches IE to this...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -noframemerging

...and that works great, too. The disabling of the Framer Merging is definitely the solution.

Disabling through the Windows registry also sounds like a sure-fire fix but I'm settling for this shortcut remedy.

Thanks to all who replied!

Another way is just to open a new "session" from the file pulldown menu of
the IE browser

Herb Miller

TWeatherford, Inc.

herbm@tweatherford.com

3148 Beach Blvd

Cicero, IN 46034

competitor"
Top Tags