cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

License profile changes, not possible to create part in Windchill PDMLink...???

HJ1
15-Moonstone
15-Moonstone

License profile changes, not possible to create part in Windchill PDMLink...???

Hi,

maybe a bit specific topic, but maybe someone else who looked at this article or has experienced issues could shed light on whether this is actually happening. The question is:

Is "Create Parts" available for users with "PTC EBOM management License" in 11.2 or not? See below.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS330691

"In Windchill 11.2 the "PTC EBOM management License" does not have the internal system option "Create Partschecked.
After upgrade to Windchill 11.2 the BOM Transformation License profile does not have the option "Create partschecked, unlike in 11.1.

Works to product specification for Windchill PDMLink 11.2

• In 11.2 PTC changed some of the internal system options of the Licenses, for more details refer to License management team."

Now, if you compare the profile matrixes for 11.1 M020 and 11.2 M010 from 

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS297225

it does not support what is said above, at least for the "Create Parts"  functionality. It's marked as available for EBOM Management, not for Transformation in either 11.1 or 11.2

So, what's this with "changed internal system options" ???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MichaelChatel
20-Turquoise
(To:HJ1)

Hi,

The knowledge articles do go through a process to help make sure they are in a "customer-ready" public state.  It mostly works, given the high-usage of our articles, and the mostly good feedback on them - there is the odd one that slips through though, that are not ideal. 

You can leave "feedback" on knowledge articles, to have them reviewed, and re-worked, and there is definitely a process Support follows for that as well.  So you may want to do that on that article you had found, as it definitely needs re-worked.

I am out of the office until the New Year, personally, otherwise I would do this.  But to re-iterate your original question, EBOM management does include the "create parts".

Mike

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MichaelChatel
20-Turquoise

Hey HJ1,

I would suggest opening a Support case to clarify this, because;

- that knowledge article is, honestly, terribly written in my opinion, and Support should probably be made aware of this:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS330691

- I believe the license matrix for 11.2,

from,

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS297225

...is actually correct.  That particular knowledge article is a well-used, vetted article, which gets input from R&D.

I think the intent of that other, prior knowledge article (330691), was trying to capture some changes that R&D did, with licensing, to try and correct "redundant" license enablement, with the license profiles.  I can see internal SPRs 8109460 and 8109499, involved with that.  It seems the intent of those SPRs, was that EBOM Management enabled the action, so the other BOM Transformation and Manufacturing ones, should not also enable it. 

If you open a Support case, we should be able to clarify this, and hopefully, clean-up that knowledge article.

If you do open a Support case, I would make mention of those SPRs I noted.

Mike

HJ1
15-Moonstone
15-Moonstone
(To:MichaelChatel)

Mike,

thank you very much for your thorough reply, highly appreciated.

It does raise some thoughts about the 'quality of service' so to speak for people in the position of business & system admin in a company using & paying for PTC products.

- Support articles are a very important source of information. How can a person in above described position tell which is "well-used, vetted article, which gets input from R&D" ? Ok, in this case it is pretty obvious that this one is not, but the point is it should not be a PTC customer's job to estimate the quality of articles. A lot of time is spent with double-checking what is written. Who writes articles and are they peer reviewed before release? (Shoemaker's children going barefoot...?)
- You mention opening a case with PTC. The only channel for a PTC end customer business admin is through VAR, there's no alternative to open a case directly. Just tried this through the PTC Support website and was finally confronted with a message suggesting I take the VAR route. From my experience threshold for them to contact and forward issues to PTC is high and I doubt a complaint about a miswritten article would go any further.

MichaelChatel
20-Turquoise

Hi,

The knowledge articles do go through a process to help make sure they are in a "customer-ready" public state.  It mostly works, given the high-usage of our articles, and the mostly good feedback on them - there is the odd one that slips through though, that are not ideal. 

You can leave "feedback" on knowledge articles, to have them reviewed, and re-worked, and there is definitely a process Support follows for that as well.  So you may want to do that on that article you had found, as it definitely needs re-worked.

I am out of the office until the New Year, personally, otherwise I would do this.  But to re-iterate your original question, EBOM management does include the "create parts".

Mike

HJ1
15-Moonstone
15-Moonstone
(To:MichaelChatel)

Hi!

Ok, I found a feedback option behind "Was this article helpful - No", never clicked there before... that's nice. 

Thanks for this, stay safe!

Appears we can no longer leave feedback on articles. These articles have not been updated for V12,12.0.2 etc.

AndrewK
Community Manager
(To:icelynnin)

Hi @icelynnin,

You should be able to leave feedback. I requested an update for these articles, but are you not able to see this?

AndrewK_0-1694547520891.png

Seems to be back now. Thanks, additionally the above is updated for 12.0.2, thanks.

Top Tags