cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Log File Cleanup

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Log File Cleanup

Is there a mechanism in Windchill (10.0 m040) to delete older log files from the system?

In Windchill 9 & 9.1, all log files were kept in the <WC_loadpoint>/logs folder and manually moved to a archive subfolder by month. In Windchill 10, we kept the same practice but now the log files are being deleted after 2 weeks. Is there a new setting I missed or is something else dleteing the older files?

Windows 2008r2-64bit OS.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:BenLoosli)

By default 10.0 and higher delete all log files older than 15 days -- up until 10.2 M020, at which point log files are gzipped after 15 days and deleted only after 31 days.

These thresholds are configurable via the LogsDirViewer MBean in question in the server manager's JMX configuration. This cleanup can also be disabled entirely there.

One can configure a custom delegate that specifies what automated action should be done to old log files if you have something else in mind, e.g. moving the file to another folder. Unless you're doing something really fancy such a delegate should require very few lines of Java code. The out-of-the-box deletion and compression actions are nothing more than default delegates.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jessh
5-Regular Member

By default 10.0 and higher delete all log files older than 15 days -- up until 10.2 M020, at which point log files are gzipped after 15 days and deleted only after 31 days.

These thresholds are configurable via the LogsDirViewer MBean in question in the server manager's JMX configuration. This cleanup can also be disabled entirely there.

One can configure a custom delegate that specifies what automated action should be done to old log files if you have something else in mind, e.g. moving the file to another folder. Unless you're doing something really fancy such a delegate should require very few lines of Java code. The out-of-the-box deletion and compression actions are nothing more than default delegates.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:jessh)

Windchill is smart enough to still delete the files after I have moved then to a sub-folder?

I am manually moving prior month log files from the logs folder to logs/archive/12-DEC folder and they are being deleted. I can see the routines deleting them in the logs folder, but not sub-folders.

Anyway, good to know that the logfiles can be deleted for a diskspace savings.

jessh
5-Regular Member

Windchill recursively processes all files within each logs directory -- irrespective of how many directory levels deep they are within that logs directory.

However, it will only process files with certain extensions that it understands to be log files (based on file naming pattern). This applies to both log file maintenance (deletion, compression, etc) and to log file browsing, collection, searching, etc.

Top Tags