cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Mass email change not taking effect as expected

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Mass email change not taking effect as expected

We are cleaning up things from a company domain change. All emails changed from "@oldname.org" to "newname.org". We are running 12.0.2.8 with OpenDJ as the user LDAP. It was a fairly simple change to update the email addresses in the LDAP. I exported the DB to an ldif, did a mass replace for that email domain and reimported. I verified with the control panel that change was correct, emails domains were updated.

Issue comes with Windchill where the old email is still shown. No problem as I figured this was a caching issue. PTC has a number of articles on this. The email address is stored in the WTUser table.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS72994?source=search details how LDAP Sync works. My assumption is that when I changed the LDAP value, there is a process to get Windchill to reread it and update the WTUser table. 

I can confirm that the allowLDAPSynchronization is checked for my users (set to 1). wt.org.userSyncTime is not in wt.properties to it should be a default of 7 days. lastSyncTime for the users is all over the place, some going back years and I know they have logged in recently. I did go to Principal Admin and clicked purge principal cache a few times. I was expecting that system would immediately do a sync to the ldap.

As I was writing this, I am seeing users get their email updated. So is it trigged when the user logs in? Seems to be the case. Very inefficient but I will let it do its thing. I know I can write a sql update that will force the change to the WTUser table but holding off for now. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In summary, if you are making this change, ensure that you have sync with LDAP checked for the users:

Update WTUSER set allowldapsynchronization=1;

Clear the principal cache

Emails will be updated as the users log in.

If you are not that patient, you can update the emails in the WTUser table to match and be done.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @avillanueva 

I guess that your thoughts are right.

for the synchronization you need to wait until  a user is logged in

HelesicPetr_0-1698929173771.png

PetrH

18 out of 300+ users updated so far. Waa hoo...not. 

In summary, if you are making this change, ensure that you have sync with LDAP checked for the users:

Update WTUSER set allowldapsynchronization=1;

Clear the principal cache

Emails will be updated as the users log in.

If you are not that patient, you can update the emails in the WTUser table to match and be done.

Top Tags