cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Modifying BOM through "Import from Spreadsheet" with parent items belonging to different Products.

Prabhu
7-Bedrock

Modifying BOM through "Import from Spreadsheet" with parent items belonging to different Products.

Hi,

Am trying to modify BOM (WT Part Product structure) of different assemblies through the utility "Import from Spreadsheet". From the Details tab of any Product, go to Actiosn - Import from Spreadsheet. My input list would have parent items belonging to different Products. Also, the child items below each parent item also would belong to different Products. After trying out various scenarios, the behaviour is as below:

1. If the input list has parent items belonging to the same product, then I could import the whole excel spread sheet from details page of any Product.
2. The context/Product location of the child items of any assembly do not matter at all (child items could belong to any product).
3. If the input list has parent items belonging to different Products, the import fails (with exception Part used in Part Structure not found).

Final statement could be, if the input sheet contains parent items belonging to multiple products, the import fails and if they belong to same product, it succeeds and in this case, it does not matter from which product's details page you run the utility.

Its a pain classifying and preparing as many spreadsheet to collect all the parent items belonging to different products and execute this functionality that many times. Any idea on what I need to incorporate to run the utility with all the items together (with the parent items belonging to different Products) in one single go?

I also had tried to fill in the column "Organization ID" with the name of the Organization, but the behaviour still stands the same.

Am not sure what should be value that I need to fill in in the column "Container".

Interesting fact: Am Org as well as Site admin!!

Thanks for your help,

Prabhakaran V

2 REPLIES 2

This is just a hunch... I have never tried it.

However, if all your product objects were in the same Library, then you could update at the Library Import. The logic of keeping the Products segregated is straight forward. You documented the behaviour of the segreagation pretty well.

This would be my plan of attack:

1. Create a library, name it Global

2. Copy and paste each product into the library

3. Create the import spreadsheet

4. Import the data to the library

5. Validate the results

Thanks Jennifer for your response and suggestions.

Meanwhile, I raised a case with PTC Tech support and below are our findings:

1. The input list contains parent items from different Products and also of different View Versions.

2. If the input list contains parent items from different Products and if all of those parent items are of same View (say Design), then the import works.

3. If the input list contains parent items from same Product, though few of them are of different View Versions (say Design, Plant1 or Plant2), the import still works.

4. If the input list contains parents items from different Products with some of them of different View Versions, then the import fails.

5. To which context or View versions the children items belongs to does not matter.

This behaviour is only at the level 9.1 M060. I guess this is resolved in 10.

Thanks again for your response,

Prabhakaran V.

Top Tags