cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

More issues with Windchill (Big surprise, eh?)

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

More issues with Windchill (Big surprise, eh?)

Ok, sometimes here we advance the rev of a dwg (i.e: from "A" to "B"), only for the CO (Change Order) to be denied. So now, we have a rev in W/C that must be deleted (B). So, what I thought of as a Pro/WORKAROUND would be if the user did an "Add To Workspace", then advanced the rev to "B", then instead of checking it out, just keep working. When you want to save it to the server side, do an "Upload" instead of "Check In" so it wouldn't change the rev of the version in Commonspace. Well, the HAL9000 somehow knew the rev had been changed, so by me trying to look at the latest, "B" showed up. What's worse, I added "B" to my workspace and opened up the dwg since he was having trouble. It opened fine in mine, though at rev "B". So, I delete the files from my Workspace....but I was still able to see and open them even though I had deleted them AND did an "Erase Not Displayed". So, I go thru the Event Manager to deal with that wonky interface to delete the frame where I added these objects to my Workspace, and deleted that. Then another "E/N/D", looked at my W/S, and STILL I can open the part in Pro/E. WTH??? I then try and delete the "B" versions of the part and dwg in commonspace.......and I get blown completely out of Pro/E. *%&*#^&^&!!!!! I mean, what's next, a "Ribbon"?!?! My users are PISSED! The ex-Solidworks guys are the most vocal, and I can't blame them. Most are asking me about switching back. I'd LOVE nothing better and told them as much, but it's a corporate decision, and anyways I understand you can't......by design. Thanks.....

2 REPLIES 2

When you Revise in the workspace it is more than just setting the label to B for the workspace copy. Revise (as I think you are finding out) actually creates that new Rev. B of the document in the commonspace. Thus, Frames can't undo the new revision creation as it has been commited to the database. Have you tried going to the commonspace, selecting the Rev B of the CAD document and deleting it from there? You should be able to delete the Rev. B, keeping the Rev A version. Note: if the Rev B. version still exists in the users workspace you will get an overriddable conflict asking to remove it from the workspace(s) prior to deleting.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:SteveShaw)

I can, but even deleting that is a nightmare. I never know exactly WHAT I'm deleting. I want to be able to delete the EXACT version I picked, No more, no less. Not have to pick between ALL iterations of a version, or pick the entire revision.

In our company, it is not a rare occurance that a CO is disapproved. While I do not like the system we have where the CO is not approved first, THEN we make the changes instead of it all being lumped together, that decision is "above my pay grade" in Military parlance. I fail to see that this is some sort of rare issue that a customer would have, and so I see even less reason that a revision advance done in the Workspace would propagate to the Commonspace. So, basically, now we're just hosed.

2 simple dwgs that should have taken less than a day total, have now stretched into a week because of the Creo and W/C issues I've been having. Java errors, script errors, "lost connection" errors. Nothing is getting done. Yes, I know, in a perfect world all software would work perfectly together. In the real world, it does not. So, in my professional opinion of having used Pro/E and various releases of Intralink for over 15 years (and being a staunch supporter against the solidworks and other guys), this Rube Goldberg system is far too complicated, with far too many things that can and WILL and DO go wrong. I have never seen such a disaster. I dread coming in to work and having to deal with this. Intralink was a great product, worked great, easy-to-use, and my users had about zero problems with it. Now, they all HATE W/C, even my IT guys, who have replaced all kinds of hardware with no successs in fixing our problems.

I want to lodge a formal complaint with customer service. Is there a specific way to do that? I am not happy.

Top Tags